Steam On Linux Ticks Lower For October 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stenka View Post
    Still no AMD encoding on remote play in 2020, stick to Windows.
    Exactly this is what you need to do, stick to what works for you.

Comment

Originally posted by henrik View Post
      I had to abandon Linux for gaming for now. I installed Ubuntu 20.10 and every time I resume the machine it displays garbage (because the GPU RAM is purged during sleep and the driver doesn't save it). Of course it is the Nvidia driver to blame but nonetheless, this is worse than it has been before. On top of that, gaming on Linux with Nvidia on Wayland seems hopeless (no Xwayland GLX acceleration on Nvidia). Hoping for much better results once I have my hands AMD 6800XT. Really glad AMD seems to have a great alternative to Nvidia now. On another note, I have had multiple steam surveys both on Linux and Windows so it is definitely counted.
      I was in a similar situation to yours a few years back, since amdgpu came out and I got a RX480 both my gaming and desktop usage is perfect. Your mileage may vary, but trust me the amdgpu + mesa + aco is a godsend.
      Last edited by JPFSanders; 03 November 2020, 08:14 AM.

Comment

I had to abandon Linux for gaming for now. I installed Ubuntu 20.10 and every time I resume the machine it displays garbage (because the GPU RAM is purged during sleep and the driver doesn't save it). Of course it is the Nvidia driver to blame
        Nvidia has a setting that can be enabled that fixes that however for some people it might still happen. They just don't have everything enabled by default yet.

On top of that, gaming on Linux with Nvidia on Wayland seems hopeless (no Xwayland GLX acceleration on Nvidia).
        Someone is working on that.

Even if you go AMD GPU, its not like you won't have other problems lol. Anyway, NVIDIA VS AMD is a bit off topic for Steam account number topic. Even if you go AMD and 100 other people do, it won't do anything to the number. Move your complaint to the NVIDIA VS AMD foot stomping temper tantrum threads.
        Last edited by ix900; 03 November 2020, 08:25 AM.

Comment

I had to abandon Linux for gaming for now. I installed Ubuntu 20.10 and every time I resume the machine it displays garbage (because the GPU RAM is purged during sleep and the driver doesn't save it). Of course it is the Nvidia driver to blame but nonetheless, this is worse than it has been before. On top of that, gaming on Linux with Nvidia on Wayland seems hopeless (no Xwayland GLX acceleration on Nvidia). Hoping for much better results once I have my hands AMD 6800XT. Really glad AMD seems to have a great alternative to Nvidia now. On another note, I have had multiple steam surveys both on Linux and Windows so it is definitely counted.
          Hello, have you tried Fedora? I never had a problem with Nvidia on this distro, in top of that dynamic offloading to the dGPU has been supported out of the box on Optimus architecture for at least a year and a half, no more logout / log back in or special launch instruction, etc... just launch the game and the laptop does the rest! (I don't know where other distros stand in this regard, but lately I was under the impression many still didn't support dynamic offloading).

As for the AMD vs Nvidia battle, unfortunately for people like me who like gaming while having only an all-roundup light netbook there's no real choice as AMD doesn't have any offering in that area similar to RTX20xx-maxq series for example (maybe now there is? correct me if I'm wrong), so we're stuck with Nvidia for now. But again, at least Fedora handles this situation very well.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post
            Even if you go AMD GPU, its not like you won't have other problems lol. Anyway, NVIDIA VS AMD is a bit off topic for Steam account number topic. Even if you go AMD and 100 other people do, it won't do anything to the number. Move your complaint to the NVIDIA VS AMD foot stomping temper tantrum threads.
            Like how my RX 580 used to run hot until I undervolted it? It was Steam and Gaming that highlighted that flaw in my GPU. Without those I'd have never noticed that my GPU gets too hot and throttles itself under load. If Steam and Gaming is the cause of or highlights a GPU issue, seems somewhat relevant to discuss it in a Steam thread.

I didn't see what that person wrote as complaining more as I read it as someone describing their current experiences with their hardware and possible futures to come: "This is the problem I'm having with Steam and Games, this is the cause, and I'm hoping that one of these two options will eventually fix it."

Comment

Soooo, when do the zealots get bored of this? It's been 8 years of "wrong stats", "wrong methodology", and "wrong sampling", guys. When will you give in and admit that no one cares about gaming on Linux? Or the Linux desktop in general, for that matter? This never-ending blamefest just blows my mind lol.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                Soooo, when do the zealots get bored of this? It's been 8 years of "wrong stats", "wrong methodology", and "wrong sampling", guys. When will you give in and admit that no one cares about gaming on Linux? Or the Linux desktop in general, for that matter? This never-ending blamefest just blows my mind lol.
                I can only think of three times I've been prompted, Windows and Linux, for the past 7 years. Most of that, for me, is because I'm usually running a Steam Beta client and they don't give surveys to people running Steam Beta...I wonder if using Beta opts us in to giving them the necessary info?

But big companies do care about Linux gaming. Sony uses FreeBSD and that shares AMDGPU driver code and userspace with Linux and Google's Stadia servers run Linux. There's two of the biggest companies in the world with reasons to ensure Linux gaming works. Linux gaming is gonna happen; just too many deep pockets invested in it at this point.

Desktop Linux, however, is a whole different matter. About the biggest pockets behind that are IBM/Red Hat and Canonical...possibly Microsoft...desktop Linux is so f*cking weird these days...but there's nothing really unified and no one company making a desktop Linux product and trying to actively pushing it on the mainstream outside of Apple (and that's a stretch of my imagination). Yeah, there's niche products and (Ubuntu) Linux as a side thought offerings, but that's about it. I've never been watching TV and had a company offer a Linux based user facing product outside of Android phones. Until someone takes the lead, desktop Linux will stay weird.

Comment

Smh, why do we even keep track of this anymore? Steam survey linux numbers day is depressing news day, every time.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    ....that's the Ajit Pai and Republican plan in action. Provide crap infrastructure by allowing it to degrade and doing minimal repairs to get people to move onto overly expensive wireless data plans. That's why they put a Verizon shill in charge of the FCC -- to ensure that happens and to do jack-shit when we complain.
                    Ehh, wut? You sound like you've been drinking the Slashdot propaganda koolaid. The FCC has nothing to do with my local cable Internet service going down the drain.

We used to have two competing cable companies. Back then, prices for wired Internet was good, reliability was decent (at least on one of the cable company's network). Back then, I could even get cheap DSL from any number of small Internet service providers, some of which would even provide a static IP and allowed running servers!

But the local gov't here was likely bought off. They let the two biggest Internet companies create a monopoly for themselves. Somehow the phone company was allowed to cut off all the thirdparty DSL Internet service providers and just funneled everybody into their own (supposedly) higher speed version of DSL that doesn't let thirdparties play any role (so no more static IP's). The big unreliable cable Internet service company was allowed to buy out the smaller but more reliable cable Internet service company. There was a period where we had only two remaining choices for Internet: Cox or CenturyLink. Both have jacked up prices like crazy, neither has been seriously working to improve their infrastructure AFAIK.

The wireless cell phone data system has been a newcomer that is slowly helping to break the Internet duopoly here. Your claim that Ajit Pai and Republicans are causing a problem is bogus in my opinion. It's the corrupted local city gov't that let the two wired Internet service companies shutdown all competition for a time. That happened long before Ajit Pai and the Republicans. It was during Obama's reign that this corruption happened. No, I'm not blaming Obama for our situation either -- it's a local issue.

Wireless is cheap today. It's very restrictive, with the 3GB/mo data cap, but it's not expensive at all. And it's quite reliable, likely because of that data cap preventing people from overloading it.
                    Last edited by ed31337; 03 November 2020, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ext73 View Post
                      I am surprised - games run faster under optimized Linux than under Windows 10

https://www.youtube.com/user/ext73
                      Maybe some games run faster, but who cares? Nobody play on linux. 0.9% is like statistical error.

Comment

Working...
                      X