No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux Ticks Lower For October 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be honest, I think Microsft stands the best chance at bringing Linux to the desktop at this rate... and will potentially include DirectX support with it!! But only when building on top of Windows!

Its painful, the incredible openness and diversity in Linux has lead to it being used in so many unique ways... but at the same time with basically anarchy as its guiding principle it will continue to languish in the main stream.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
      To be honest, I think Microsft stands the best chance at bringing Linux to the desktop at this rate... and will potentially include DirectX support with it!! But only when building on top of Windows!

Its painful, the incredible openness and diversity in Linux has lead to it being used in so many unique ways... but at the same time with basically anarchy as its guiding principle it will continue to languish in the main stream.
      Want to see the dirty innards of more Valve code? Well you're in luck as they now have a lot of work involved in the Steam Runtime on GitLab including the Pressure Vessel container.

Valve work on steam runtime and now pressure vessel has been changing things.

Anarchy does allow a lot of things. Yes pressure vessel is extend of flatpak.

Security around anarchy that flatpak and pressure vessel is heading to is a very interesting model.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

Nah I wanna be in the minority, it's the perfect match. We solve our own problems and with time things become better than native (if enough interest and will; if there is a will there is a way). I don't want Linux to be a commercial goldmine because more problems will emerge (the only thing I am thinking of is more general viruses and malware) and then we really NEED to create virtual machines just to go browse on the web.

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
          Unfortunately, the price of high speed wired cable Internet access keeps marching upwards in my area. Some people are paying upwards of $100/mo now, plus complaining every other day when it completely falls flat on it's face from being overloaded by all the work from home, remote learning, and unemployed 4K streaming NetFlix people all avoiding COVID-19. It's totally ridiculous.
          Wow, that is ridiculous. I'm in South Africa, and have uncapped fibre (that's pretty reliable) for, um, about USD48 a month. It's only 20Mbit, but that is plenty fast for a household of 7.

I have to admire your resolve for minimal computing! :-)

Comment

I am surprised - games run faster under optimized Linux than under Windows 10

Share your videos with friends, family, and the world

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
              Unfortunately, the price of high speed wired cable Internet access keeps marching upwards in my area. Some people are paying upwards of $100/mo now, plus complaining every other day when it completely falls flat on it's face from being overloaded by all the work from home, remote learning, and unemployed 4K streaming NetFlix people all avoiding COVID-19. It's totally ridiculous.
              I live in a village in a third world country, I got unlimited fiber optic internet, 12MiB(100MB)/s, no glitches, 12$/month.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Want to see the dirty innards of more Valve code? Well you're in luck as they now have a lot of work involved in the Steam Runtime on GitLab including the Pressure Vessel container.

Valve work on steam runtime and now pressure vessel has been changing things.

Anarchy does allow a lot of things. Yes pressure vessel is extend of flatpak.

Security around anarchy that flatpak and pressure vessel is heading to is a very interesting model.
                Anything more interesting than flatpaks? And I mean any thing.

Comment

The GOL Steam Tracker has been updated, shows some historical data.

Comment

skeevy420 and ed31337
                    Here where the network is easy to manage commercially wise (small country, densely populated), we believe 50€ (60$) for a 100 mbps Internet subscription (Internet only, unlimited) is too expensive. It's very reliable though, even with everyone (able to) currently homeworking. If you're cheap you can go as low as 35€ (40$) with 500-750 Gb caps.
                    Yet our fellow neighbors pay half the price in a bigger but way less densely populated country. Which means economies of scale, sure, but also more marginal costs to reach the clients in rural areas. So we should at least pay as little as them.
                    Last edited by Mez'; 03 November 2020, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by alex79 View Post
                      For the first time in 2 years I had to use Windows and logged in to steam and guess what? Steam survey poped up. It never pops in Linux, in the 10 years of use or so. Something's not right.
                      Interesting - considering that Steam for Linux has been available for a mere 7 years. However, I don't use Windows hence I never got a survey on Steam, but I got the survey about a dozen times on my Linux rig since it got installed the aforementioned 7+ years ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X