Steam On Linux Ticks Lower For October 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    oiaohmYou heavily implied that older kernels get new AMD/Intel GPU drivers which is just pure bullcrap. I don't know a single distro which uses DKMS versions of the said drivers in older kernels, so again, bullcrap (if there are such distros they are rare as fuck).
    I did point a link to debian you also find it with arch. Hardware enablement in the really old LTS stuff. You know the branches that are maintained for 20+ years on the same kernels to run clivil infrastructure. Since some distribution do it the performance effects are know of the DKMS route.

You say installing older Mesa releases in Linux distros is easy which is again bullcrap. 99.99% of people in the world won't be able to do that. And instead of admitting that NVIDIA supports Linux better than Linux supports itself, you say that NVIDIA doesn't support freaking Wayland?
    To play particular games well I need gamescope to work correctly. Gamescope even when you host graphical is X11 still needs XWayland support that Nvidia does not provide.

I don't give a fuck about Wayland. You're so full of crap it's just laughable.
    Really 90%+ of that list is superceeded software when you move to wayland. Like redshift does not work but the wayland compositors do it. Yes you have a handful of upset developers who said they would not do the work to support wayland changes but they are in fact in the minority.

https://github.com/emersion/xdg-desk...-Compatibility

Yes you have like the obs developers making out that xdg-desktop-portal is not being developed as generic solution for wayland when it is. Of course deciding to make something generic and get all the code in place so it works takes time.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=385880
    Its like the bug on that list about global menus not working. The newest version of KDE with Wayland global menus is back. This was fixing the compositor. Yes that is next years distribution KDE.

You also said Windows has the same issues, again bullcrap. On Windows I can install a ton of older AMD/Intel/NVIDIA driver releases with zero issues.
    This is head in sand you are not comparing Windows to Windows performance. So see different kernel version cause differences in performance. Windows does have the same problem here.

With W10 there's an additional layer of requirement, i.e. some Windows releases feature a new graphics stack but if you're on Windows 10 LTSC for instance - you can install the last three years of drivers with zero problems.
    LTSC is not a gamer after performance of windows. Its not just new features in the graphics stack there are performance fixes you are missing sticking to LTSC.

As for open source Intel/AMD drivers plus Mesa - again, eat the shit provided by your distro or go fuck off.
    No this is missing that it doubled sided. Nvidia from time to time will not allow you to update your X11 server or kernel because if you do the driver will fail. Yes I run on some of my system 5 to 6 years old graphics cards. Not being able to upgrade kernel locks you out from the performance gains.

Stupid as it sounds performance forces you to upgrade kernel. Nvidia blocks you from that from time to time. Nvidia you have a old card it can block you from upgrading X11 and the kernel because Nvidia has decided the card is no longer supported lot sooner than AMD or Intel do with open source drivers.

Please note you said last 3 years of drivers zero problem. I need hardware support for about 8 years. Right out past 15 years the Intel and AMD drivers for their devices are still getting new features when you upgrade.

There are reasons why the kernel drivers are by most distributions recommend as update the kernel even that DKMS does exist for AMD and Intel in their distribution. The reason is replacing the 1) replacing complete Linux kernel rarely causes any user space issues and 2) that in fact gets the best performance out the open source drivers. Same thing with newer kernels with Windows result in Nvidia drivers performing better so this is not a unique feature because as kernel operations are improved the effectiveness of the drivers running using kernel parts improves as well.

Mesa is replaceable by AMD pro drivers with AMD if required. This is commonly not done because there is normally not enough gain to be worth your time.

There is a performance problem you are ignoring as well as how long Nvidia supports their cards for. The performance problem really does force you to use as new as kernel as you can in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by alex79 View Post
      For the first time in 2 years I had to use Windows and logged in to steam and guess what? Steam survey poped up. It never pops in Linux, in the 10 years of use or so. Something's not right.
      Maybe not related to yours, but i haven't had any in years. Last week, removed big picture as default when starting steam, and it requested me to do the survey! Let's see if next month it asks me again.

Comment

Originally posted by alex79 View Post
        For the first time in 2 years I had to use Windows and logged in to steam and guess what? Steam survey poped up. It never pops in Linux, in the 10 years of use or so. Something's not right.
        I've had the Steam survey pop up multiple times in Linux, on multiple PCs. Always done my part to stand up and be counted!

As for Windows... I haven't used Steam anywhere but Linux, so I can't say how often I would have received the surveys there. I was for years very much opposed to Steam, as I saw it as a Microsoft-like DRM and potential spying platform, and I wished to support neither of those. I saw Valve as being a smaller, more focused version of MS, Apple, or Google, all villains in my mind. I've certainly changed my mind about Valve (though not the other three). Without DRM, a lot of the titles that are available on Steam would not be, and that's the decision of the developers/publishers of those titles.

Steam has done more to make Linux a viable gaming platform than anyone I can think of, and that in turn has meant that Linux is already a usable gaming platform for me, not just one that might be usable someday if things keep progressing. I'm not into the newest AAA mega-titles (I don't know what half of them are, and the other half that I can't help but know about them because no one can shut up about them (Fortnite, Overwatch, looking in your general direction) do not interest me at all.

Perhaps I have been lucky, but everything I've been interested in since my move to Linux has worked very well over here in Antarctica, whether it be a Windows game from Proton or WINE or a native Linux one. I've yet to see some let's plays of a game and think I'd like to try it, only to discover that it has no native Linux version and doesn't work (or work well enough) on WINE/Proton either. If it does eventually happen, I know there are plenty more titles that do work that I would enjoy, and certainly enough of them to use up all the available free time I have. If those ones that do not work now begin working down the road, all the better!

Comment

Working...
        X