Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve/CodeWeavers Releases Proton 5.13-1 With More Windows Games Running On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve/CodeWeavers Releases Proton 5.13-1 With More Windows Games Running On Linux

Phoronix: Valve/CodeWeavers Releases Proton 5.13-1 With More Windows Games Running On Linux

The Wine-based Proton development has been disappointingly quiet in recent weeks but fortunately it's alive and ticking with today's Proton 5.13-1 release for powering Valve's Steam Play to run many modern Windows games gracefully on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Damn.. that's an impressive list of A+++ games being compatible after a long time of silence.
    Valve really ain't giving up on it.
    I also hope they try to submit their patches to upstream wine(-staging) as much as possible so Proton can stay close to it.

Comment

Sea of thieves? That's awful surprising considering it's a microsoft published game requiring a microsoft account to get through microsoft 'totally-not-gfwl' drm.

Great game tho.

Comment

I have problems getting mangohud to work with this. Proton 5.0-9 works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
          Sea of thieves? That's awful surprising considering it's a microsoft published game requiring a microsoft account to get through microsoft 'totally-not-gfwl' drm.

Great game tho.
          Even the new MS Flight Simulator can work with some tweaking, there is no particular reason something shouldn't work on Wine+Linux these days.

Comment

I gotta try AOE2 Definitive Edition at some point, maybe Horizon Zero Dawn and Death Stranding.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

Great game tho.
              Anything can work provided the code receives the right response. Its the most interesting thing about Wine.

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
              Damn.. that's an impressive list of A+++ games being compatible after a long time of silence.
              Valve really ain't giving up on it.
              I also hope they try to submit their patches to upstream wine(-staging) as much as possible so Proton can stay close to it.
              Just said the other day Valve had a lot on their plate which is why there has been no Proton release for a while. Actually, I'm surprised it wasn't longer before dropping another. VKD3d-Proton fixes were needed for those dx12 only games.
              Last edited by ix900; 15 October 2020, 09:29 PM.

Comment

I imagine the long silence was due to the major changes happening in the wine codebase lately. Also great to see that many of Proton's changes have been upstreamed as well, Valve is doing a great job giving back to the project. Proton is just one of those projects that gives me the warm fuzzies, it's just all good stuff, everything happening around it and inside of it is great for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post

Even the new MS Flight Simulator can work with some tweaking, there is no particular reason something shouldn't work on Wine+Linux these days.
                  Yeah, the whole "most software doesn't work on Linux!!!" is mostly old misinformation nowadays. Hell, I can run Photoshop or Illustrator CC 2019 with nothing but minor UI glitches in Wine.

Comment

Amazing

A question to all proton expert out here: why does Company of Heroes work with proton 3.7 but it doesn't with 5.x? Haven't had the time to try out the brand new version but it's a bit difficult to keep track with what work on which version...

Comment

Working...
                    X