X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gbcox
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

If anything, MS would buy ReactOS to prevent organizations from switching to it for their legacy software so that they *have* to switch to Windows 10.
    No sane organization is going to switch to ReactOS as a Windows replacement. It was started in 2004 and is still alphaware 16 years later.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by billbo View Post

I think this hinges on API (Application Programming Interface) vs. ABI (Application Binary Interface). As I am using the terms, API is the source code interface; while ABI is the actual register/stack use and assembly instructions used to call into kernel space, etc. Wine wouldn't need to provide an API which is compatible in order to run executables compiled for Windows it just needs to provide a compatible ABI. POSIX is an API while the particular way the stack is laid out on x86 Linux vs. ARM Linux are ABIs. We don't often think of them as different things, but they are. If Wine provides both a compatible ABI AND API then it seems to me that the Oracle/Google Java case would be relevant. Comments?
    I'm not sure that argument would convince the courts. At the library level, an ABI is one specific expression of an API, so they have to implement the API in some sense in order to implement the ABI.

(I say "at the library level" because ABI could also refer to the superset of the calling convention needed for linking artifacts produced by different compilers, as with the Itanium C++ ABI.)

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by gbcox View Post
    As others have mentioned, it's just a matter of time before Microsoft buys Codeweavers. Once MS co-opted Chromium it became kind of obvious what their strategy was going forward. It would be much cheaper for them to switch their kernel to linux and run windows 10 as an emulation layer. Then they can concentrate their efforts on Azure. They've already started to pave the way with WSL.
    If anything, MS would buy ReactOS to prevent organizations from switching to it for their legacy software so that they *have* to switch to Windows 10.

Leave a comment:

• guglovich
    replied
    Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Wine does not implement a NT kernel, so you wont have luck with Kernel Driver based anti cheat. And Wine is not responsible for virus protection. Use a Wine package manager like Lutris or Steam to only install trusted software because then there is no need for virus protection.
    I am aware of what and how, you did not discover America. But this is not about that, and this is the risk of players who have the choice to risk on Windows along with other risks, or to risk on Linux for just one game.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Wine does not implement a NT kernel, so you wont have luck with Kernel Driver based anti cheat. And Wine is not responsible for virus protection. Use a Wine package manager like Lutris or Steam to only install trusted software because then there is no need for virus protection.
    It isn't Wine's, or MS's for that matter, fault that people download and install stuff from sketchy sources or open e-mail attachments from the Prince of Nigeria.

Leave a comment:

• Alexmitter
    replied
    Originally posted by guglovich View Post
    This is all nonsense until none of them offers a solution with online games. Wine is against the implementation of virus protection, Steam did not write its plans for them, but with support everything is the same. 2020 and I can't play Lineage 2 because of SmartGuard.

Leave a comment:

• guglovich
    replied
    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

It sounds like you are conflating your pet peeves with the general viability of what the org is offering
    I recalled that none of the trinity took on this. This is sad.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    This branding is not really any improvement. This branding is pretty silly and confusing.

Leave a comment:

• ed31337
    replied
    I think "When is Microsoft replacing Windows with Linux?" should become a meme.

We've got this fast, secure Linux kernel with it's own pile of software developers who are constantly making improvements to it for free, and then you've got this huge clunky, insecure Windows OS that Microsoft has to pay a pile of developers to keep going. Rebasing to Linux is a no-brainer.

The only thing stopping it from happening is momentum and tradition. Traditionally, Microsoft has always owned the operating system and this is what they are used to. But if everybody outside of Microsoft is constantly expecting Microsoft to replace Windows with Linux under-the-hood, eventually that old momentum and tradition at Microsoft will fizzle out.

Like a virus that spreads until it even hits the President of the USA, the thought "When is Microsoft replacing Windows with Linux?" will become embedded in the minds of even the top levels of management at Microsoft.

Even if they fail to act, keeping this idea floating around will cause third party developers to question why they are continuing to develop their apps for Windows when it is "obvious" that eventually Windows will become the "legacy" platform at some point. Who wants to be left stranded on Microsoft's legacy platform when Microsoft finally makes this obvious move? Third party developers dealing with Microsoft know all too well how painful it is when Microsoft makes their move, as they've dealt with that in the transition from DOS to Windows, from VB6 to C#.NET, Windows CE to Windows Mobile, etc. Microsoft has a strong tradition of royally screwing over their third party developers.

If third party developers started pre-emptively moving their efforts over to Linux, that would kill the momentum behind Windows. "When is Microsoft replacing Windows with Linux?" becomes a self-fullfiling prophesy at some point.
    Last edited by ed31337; 14 October 2020, 04:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    PortJump sounds like Navy hazing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X