CodeWeavers Announces Rebrand With PortJump + ExecMode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gbcox View Post
    As others have mentioned, it's just a matter of time before Microsoft buys Codeweavers. Once MS co-opted Chromium it became kind of obvious what their strategy was going forward. It would be much cheaper for them to switch their kernel to linux and run windows 10 as an emulation layer. Then they can concentrate their efforts on Azure. They've already started to pave the way with WSL.
    If anything, MS would buy ReactOS to prevent organizations from switching to it for their legacy software so that they *have* to switch to Windows 10.

Comment

Originally posted by billbo View Post

I think this hinges on API (Application Programming Interface) vs. ABI (Application Binary Interface). As I am using the terms, API is the source code interface; while ABI is the actual register/stack use and assembly instructions used to call into kernel space, etc. Wine wouldn't need to provide an API which is compatible in order to run executables compiled for Windows it just needs to provide a compatible ABI. POSIX is an API while the particular way the stack is laid out on x86 Linux vs. ARM Linux are ABIs. We don't often think of them as different things, but they are. If Wine provides both a compatible ABI AND API then it seems to me that the Oracle/Google Java case would be relevant. Comments?
      I'm not sure that argument would convince the courts. At the library level, an ABI is one specific expression of an API, so they have to implement the API in some sense in order to implement the ABI.

(I say "at the library level" because ABI could also refer to the superset of the calling convention needed for linking artifacts produced by different compilers, as with the Itanium C++ ABI.)

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

If anything, MS would buy ReactOS to prevent organizations from switching to it for their legacy software so that they *have* to switch to Windows 10.
        No sane organization is going to switch to ReactOS as a Windows replacement. It was started in 2004 and is still alphaware 16 years later.

Comment

Working...
        X