The Failed OUYA Game Console Seeing Work For Mainline Linux Kernel Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It already supports Kodi.

Out of the box, Ouya supports media apps such as Twitch and the Kodi media center.
    It supports 1080p H.264 decode, on par with all of the older Pis.

1 GB RAM is enough for simple emulation. See ODROID-GO Advance and similar retro handhelds on the market.

Comment

The big issue is the last supported version of Android for the Ouya is slowly losing support for apps.
      A lot need to be custom built for it already.
      This allows us to bring modern support to it.

Tegra support on mainline, especially for the armv7 variants, is historically pretty bad.
      It has come a long way in recent years, thanks to digetx and others.
      For instance when I started work in 2016 on this mainline couldn't even boot on Tegra30 devices in secure mode (Android devices).
      Now we have most hardware working, and quality of life stuff is on the way.
      We can get a non-accelerated desktop running easily now on the open source grate gpu driver.
      Partial acceleration works too, and glxgears can run.
      Hardware decoding of video is also partially implemented.

A large source of trouble is the lack of working devices from this era. Digetx added support for a few tablets last cycle, and there are a few more devices in the pipeline.

My main motivation is reducing e-waste.
      These are still good devices.

Comment

I've got my Ouya sitting about 10 feet from me in its box, waiting for a new kernel and a distro to convert it to, now that the Ouya store has been shut down.

I had a reasonable number of playable games on the Ouya, and the indy-friendly nature led to some interesting concepts. But yeah, I definitely also like the NES/SNES emulation possibilities of that console. Bonus points for it using Bluetooth controllers with built-in touchpads. Even after the console has been unplugged, I can just pair the controllers to my phone/tablet/laptop and keep using them.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
          I've got my Ouya sitting about 10 feet from me in its box, waiting for a new kernel and a distro to convert it to, now that the Ouya store has been shut down.

I had a reasonable number of playable games on the Ouya, and the indy-friendly nature led to some interesting concepts. But yeah, I definitely also like the NES/SNES emulation possibilities of that console. Bonus points for it using Bluetooth controllers with built-in touchpads. Even after the console has been unplugged, I can just pair the controllers to my phone/tablet/laptop and keep using them.
          There's a discord channel called OUYA Saviors dedicated to keeping classic Ouya alive even with the services dead.
          So if you want that route it exists as well.

Comment

Originally posted by pgwipeout View Post
            My main motivation is reducing e-waste.
            These are still good devices.
            Did you looked into WinRT tablets support? There is way around secure boot on these devices, as you probably know.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
              Did you looked into WinRT tablets support? There is way around secure boot on these devices, as you probably know.
              Yes, unfortunately armv7 acpi support in tegra linux isn't functional to the point where linux could boot on these devices.
              As everyone is moving to armv8 it's unlikely this will happen anytime soon, if ever.
              I also was unable to locate a usable early debug uart output on the Surface RT.
              These devices would likely require a bootloader replacement.

Comment

These devices would likely require a bootloader replacement.
                You mean replacing leaked debug bootloader by Microsoft (but is it even possible when there is enforced Secure boot?) or something else?

unfortunately armv7 acpi support in tegra linux isn't functional to the point where linux could boot on these devices
                So even if someone will write new DeviceTree for some WinRT tablet - it will be impossible to boot Linux via this DeviceTree instead of ACPI for some reason?

I also was unable to locate a usable early debug uart output on the Surface RT.
                That sound like a problem

Comment

You mean replacing leaked debug bootloader by Microsoft (but is it even possible when there is enforced Secure boot?) or something else?
                  A debug bootloader would certainly help, but we already have the keys to the kingdom so secure boot isn't an issue.
                  I'm talking more along the lines of replacing the efi firmware with u-boot.
                  The reason being is the efi firmware is running in the background with hardware access.
                  Linux tegra device drivers interact directly with the hardware.
                  So if efi and linux both try to access hardware at the same time the hardware will crash.

So even if someone will write new DeviceTree for some WinRT tablet - it will be impossible to boot Linux via this DeviceTree instead of ACPI for some reason?
                  That is what I attempted.

That sound like a problem
                  I just looked at the fcc teardown of the Asus TF600t and notice it appears to have pads for a jtag port.
                  So there might be hope for that device.

Comment

So, we'll get support for one specific kernel version, everyone will say "wow", and then little further will be done.

Just like Linux on DS, Xbox, and (to some extent -- official early-on support helped) PS2/PS3.

There are better platforms for emulation with broad pre-existing support, even if you don't want to dip your toes into lagless FPGA-based devices. This is just yet another case of someone scratching an irrelevant itch.

It's also kinda cool.

Comment

The OUYA still has a lot of mileage left in it - especially if it gets mainlined. As a RetroConsole and/or Linux micro server, 1 GB of RAM is plenty. It has USB 2.0, a wired NIC, HDMI 1.4 with ARC, Bluetooth. With a USB hub, you'd have storage & wire controller ports to spare.

If the Wii can run RetroArch, having it on a debian OUYA (no davlik crap) should cut down on the overhead.

Take a look at these. These ARM handhelds rock and OUYA would kick their butt on a level playing field having the Tegra3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X_Wiz#Specifications (2009)Though on kernel 2.4, It can even play come PS1 games (at low frame rates.) It plays all the older consoles & handhelds just fine. I still enjoy using mine having a solid build to it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caanoo (the Wiz 2010 successor & better than the Wiz)
                      • CPU: ARM926EJ 533 MHz embedded on SoC (architecture version ARMv5TEJ)
                      • GPU: 3D hardware engine embedded on SoC (OpenGL ES 1.1 support)
                      • 3D performance: 133M Texel/s and 1,33M Polygon/s
                      • main RAM: 128 Mbytes DDR SDRAM 133 MHz (peak memory bandwidth: 533 Mbytes/s)
                      • video buffer: about 16 Mbytes of main RAM are reserved for the video/texture information
                      Check out all the ARM handhelds at the legacy site https://openhandhelds.org (Wiz and more). It has Open games, Emus, Ports & Developer tools chains as well.

This plays all the older stuff on a ESP32 microcontroller without breaking a sweat. A microcontroller (and is open hardware/source)

This is basically a Raspberry Pi 3b+ as a handheld having just a 1GB RAM, battery and a really nice screen. It plays all the PS1 and PSP (Wipeout Pure is awesome. Plus GTA to go) games without significant issue (the platform is now about 1.5 yr old). I use it more than the Wiz now. It's default image is Ubuntu aarch64 (and is open hardware). You can install any ubuntu or debian aarch64 packages using apt. It's awesome. (I use mine also as a piratebox in my backpack.)

FunKey S | Tiny foldable retrogaming handheld console for your keychain. Play all your favourite retro games: Gameboy, GBA, SNES, Sega, Playstation, on a small, powerful and totally playable gameboy styled retrohanheld.

FunKey is a tiny yet comfortably playable multi-emulator handheld gaming console that anyone can carry on their keychain. Bored in transports, sleeping in class or simply having a few minutes to kill? Pop up your FunKey from your ever-carried keychain and start back your favorite game right where you left it. Its foldable design allows for large comfortable buttons, optimized screen space, and a strong protected shell when closed, while its Allwinner 1Ghz A7 processor coupled with a full Linux distribution built from scratch are powerful enough to allow you to play your favorite retro consoles at full speed (NES, SNES, Gameboy, GBA, PS1, Sega Genesis, Sega Master System) while being optimized for battery life. As always with our previous experiences (Keymu, Funkey Zero) the goal of FunKey is also to share the knowledge, that is why our ideas, designs, programs and experiences will all be layed out on this very page. We hope you’ll come to love FunKey as much as we do.

A smidge less powerful than Odroid Go Advance, but still has 1GB of RAM. It also plays PS1 games just fine. Again, comparable to a Rapberry Pi 2/3B without radio (and is open hardware/source)

Basically, I really look forward to resuscitating my OUYA with a mainline kernel and debian. Even rooted, a chroot on cyanogen just doesn't cut it. There's no need of it collecting dust next to all my other genuine retro consoles which are *still* operational.

Cheers, M.

Comment

Working...
                      X