Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux Ticks Closer To 1.0%, AMD CPUs Now Power A Third Of Linux Gaming Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andre30correia
    replied
    Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    I don't believe that. Most people who are homeworking do that by bringing back their corporate laptop which is loaded with Windows and you can only access the company servers/emails/apps/docs through the company VPN installed on said corporate laptop.
    The only change implied by going back to the office is that your access is direct instead of remote through VPN, but the use of Windows is not impacted (from what I've seen).
    but it's the reason, a lot of people with free time in pandemic used the linux pc at home, backing at office means not using that, only using smartphones to see the emails or social networks over the day

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    I don't believe that. Most people who are homeworking do that by bringing back their corporate laptop which is loaded with Windows and you can only access the company servers/emails/apps/docs through the company VPN installed on said corporate laptop.
    The only change implied by going back to the office is that your access is direct instead of remote through VPN, but the use of Windows is not impacted (from what I've seen).
    Might depend on the firm. We don't do that. We just use the corporate VPN on our own machines, and only use a corporate laptop if you claim your home machine isn't powerful enough and you need a better machine. Most software developers find a corporate laptop less powerful than their home desktops however.

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by carewolf View Post
    Perhaps people went back to their offices and no longer using their personal machines?
    Last edited by Mez'; 02 October 2020, 10:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by HenryM View Post

Yeah, I'm really about to believe that over half the global Linux user base disappeared in two months...
    Perhaps people went back to their offices and no longer using their personal machines?

Leave a comment:

• HenryM
    replied
    Originally posted by theuserbl View Post

NetMarketShare "Operating System Market Share"for Desktop computer:
    July: 3.57%
    August: 2.69%
    September: 1.47%

Greetings
    theuserbl
    Yeah, I'm really about to believe that over half the global Linux user base disappeared in two months...

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by ix900 View Post
    Wine/Proton has gotten better which is good and there has been a few people jumping to Linux, but this underwhelming up tick is all that will result. I'm sure Valve is swooning right now thinking its wonderful.
    They probably do think it's wonderful. I have to imagine there is a really big overlap between "People who run Linux", "People who game", and "People who buy games." I know that I've bought more games in the past three years than I have in the past 10 thanks to Valve, Proton , Philip Rebohle, Joshua Ashton, and many others. I feel more confident taking that gamble that my game will work on Linux now than I ever have which encourages me to buy more games.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Is wine/proton counted as Windows?

Leave a comment:

• HEL88
    replied
    Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Usually user counts behave logarithmic. The more people use it the more people want to use it.
    But that is not with every product the case and it has to show if it will be right in our case.
    So mayby linux achived already flated part of this curve ???

Leave a comment:

• HEL88
    replied
    Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    1. you cherry pick the Netmarketshare numbers to 3 Months 6 Months ago they were at 1.36% and the months prior to that the numbers were at 1.4-1.8%
    2. The numbers are contradicting at the moment in the

On https://netmarketshare.com/ 10 years ago linux had 0.75%. Now have 1.75%. It's look totally bad.

"I would expect even higher numbers like 5-10% if we could see only home users but not limited to the small minority of gamers."

maybe at once 66.6%?? Why not.

Leave a comment:

• blackiwid
    replied
    1. you cherry pick the Netmarketshare numbers to 3 Months 6 Months ago they were at 1.36% and the months prior to that the numbers were at 1.4-1.8%
    2. The numbers are contradicting at the moment in the Graph you see the 1.47% you listed, but if you look at the list below it it states 2.34%, which is also different from the last month, so it's not just that numbers not actualized. That this numbers even can be out of sync questions for me the professionalism of this company, but well.
    3. We saw in last month that they need a few days to show the correct numbers they showed way to high numbers the first day(s) for Linux 2 months ago, there is a reddit post:

So we have to wait for the update, the 2.34% makes more sense and would not even contradict the Steam numbers, because steam only counts gamers therefor only home pcs, while the Netmarketshare numbers count also business pcs, which I would expect if we only look at the desktop has 99.999% windows, because I never heard from a employee getting forced to use linux on their desktop when he wanted to use windows but the other way around is very very common.

I would expect even higher numbers like 5-10% if we could see only home users but not limited to the small minority of gamers.

But for now I would assume that the 2.34% are the right numbers but we have to see probably tomorow but surely in a week what the real numbers are, if the 1.47% numbers would stick I would never ever look at their side, it would proof that their statistics are completely bullshit, because it can't only be corona that explains this higher numbers even if the majority would be corona homeoffice effects, there must be more, like people that had time in corona to test out linux and that then the adoption rate from that alone would be zero and some go away, would make no sense. Even Macos profited from Corona times, so why would linux loose user numbers through corona while have more gamers... no that would make zero sense. The 2.34% would make sense less home office more forced windows business pcs run... therefor lower numbers, I get that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X