Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux Ticks Closer To 1.0%, AMD CPUs Now Power A Third Of Linux Gaming Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
    I don't believe that. Most people who are homeworking do that by bringing back their corporate laptop which is loaded with Windows and you can only access the company servers/emails/apps/docs through the company VPN installed on said corporate laptop.
    The only change implied by going back to the office is that your access is direct instead of remote through VPN, but the use of Windows is not impacted (from what I've seen).
    Is there something I am missing? Do the stats come with a bias towards the technology sector? The average Joe probably doesn't even have a corporate laptop nor does know what a VPN is. Remote working for most people in COVID times is joining videocalls calls and sending e-mails while dealing with kids at home. The average Joe probably doesn't even know what Linux is.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Might depend on the firm. We don't do that. We just use the corporate VPN on our own machines, and only use a corporate laptop if you claim your home machine isn't powerful enough and you need a better machine. Most software developers find a corporate laptop less powerful than their home desktops however.
      The proportion of developers amongst the total of people who were homeworking during the peak of the pandemic is probably less than 2-3%.

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

but it's the reason, a lot of people with free time in pandemic used the linux pc at home, backing at office means not using that, only using smartphones to see the emails or social networks over the day
      I'm doing this as well. But then it really depends on how these stat websites account OSes, because I'm still using my work Windows machine much more during those days, you know... by actually working.
      Last edited by Mez'; 02 October 2020, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sabian2008 View Post
        Is there something I am missing? Do the stats come with a bias towards the technology sector? The average Joe probably doesn't even have a corporate laptop nor does know what a VPN is. Remote working for most people in COVID times is joining videocalls calls and sending e-mails while dealing with kids at home. The average Joe probably doesn't even know what Linux is.
        By corporate laptop, I mean the machine they lended you to do your work while working for the company. You're not owning it.
        And yes, here, most people doing their work through a computer work with laptops, especially since flex desks is pretty much generalized in offices. I haven't seen a company or heard of other ones (through friends) working with a desktop in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
          Maybay, maby not.

Now you waiting for Network_effect on desktop 30 years. So, mayby you have to wait to this next 30 years or longer .

Comment

Why I suspect it's all thanks to the dxvk?

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

In 2 years 0.1%.

So next 1% will take 20 years - LOL .
              I believe it won't take long because of four different factors:
              - Steam Play
              - Ryzen + Intel Xe
              - More hardware manufacturers with good quality laptops preinstalled with Linux.
              - Linux itself getting in better shape: driver status, Wayland, software availability, polish + performance improvements, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

I believe .
                Many years ago I believed too.

But, now I don't. I buy laptop/desktop with preistal Windows, and all software and hardware run well. Linux is complete unnecessary like Windows Mobile on mobile. Market don't wont linux. Only some IT stuff want and dreaming about linux.

Comment

I finally got polled after a decade on Steam. That's nice I guess.

Comment

It's funny- each month I decide to not dual boot and play all my games on Linux I see an uptick here regarding a sub-percentile gain Anyhow, Linux Gamer for life!

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

Many years ago I believed too.

But, now I don't. I buy laptop/desktop with preistal Windows, and all software and hardware run well. Linux is complete unnecessary like Windows Mobile on mobile. Market don't wont linux. Only some IT stuff want and dreaming about linux.
                      Then what are you doing on this forum? Or are you here just for trolling?

Comment

Working...
                      X