Feral's GameMode 1.6 Released For Optimizing The Linux Gaming Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feral's GameMode 1.6 Released For Optimizing The Linux Gaming Experience

Phoronix: Feral's GameMode 1.6 Released For Optimizing The Linux Gaming Experience

GameMode 1.6 is out as the Linux daemon developed by game porting firm Feral Interactive for setting the CPU frequency scaling governor and other helpers when launching games in an effort to enhance the Linux gaming performance and then returning the system to its prior state after the game has quit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I never got to experience any benefit from GameMode on my system. Maybe for others, but for me (Ryzen 1700 and a RX 480 with Mesa) it made no difference in games. It just made my CPU run slightly hotter with more power consumption. All my games are GPU limited due to the resolution I game on (1440p), so maybe in a more CPU starved system this would work.

Comment

I always find gamemode hard to install. Definitely made a difference on my laptop. I think it doesn't really increase FPS but decreases stuttering and stops other services slowing the PC down

Comment

Any PPA available to install it on Debian based OSes like Ubuntu ?

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk View Post
          I always find gamemode hard to install. Definitely made a difference on my laptop. I think it doesn't really increase FPS but decreases stuttering and stops other services slowing the PC down
          Mostly depends on the game. CSGO usually sees a meaningful bump in FPS when forcing the "performance" CPU governor.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Any PPA available to install it on Debian based OSes like Ubuntu ?
            it's included in the official ubuntu repository since atleast 20.04

Comment

Is this seriously a DAEMON?! That's beyond stupid. Set stuff, fork, restore stuff. That's it. Not rocket science. Hell, I've had scripts that do similar things to ensure games don't trash window positions etc since last century.

What's the reasoning behind that? "We need a way to bypass sudo", or something like that?

Insistently turning every 10-line toy program into a daemon because you think it's sooo important that it has to be running ALL the time, or to deliberately break a security model, is how you end up with the modern Windows services list and the modern Windows auto-exploitability.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post
                Is this seriously a DAEMON?! That's beyond stupid. Set stuff, fork, restore stuff. That's it. Not rocket science. Hell, I've had scripts that do similar things to ensure games don't trash window positions etc since last century.

What's the reasoning behind that? "We need a way to bypass sudo", or something like that?

Insistently turning every 10-line toy program into a daemon because you think it's sooo important that it has to be running ALL the time, or to deliberately break a security model, is how you end up with the modern Windows services list and the modern Windows auto-exploitability.
                This is a daemon to ensure current schedulers work as expected on Linux and make games optimal performance out-of-box.

Please check the project before throwing an unnecessary negative feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

it's included in the official ubuntu repository since atleast 20.04
                  Are you sure, what is the name of the package?

I cannot find it (on Kubuntu 20.04) and on Github I see instructions only for building it.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Are you sure, what is the name of the package?

I cannot find it (on Kubuntu 20.04) and on Github I see instructions only for building it.
                    It does not show up for me with Discover, but I don't use it (Discover). I prefer to use Muon or just the command line.

sudo apt install gamemode

Current version is 1.5.1

Comment

Working...
                    X