Steam On Linux Is Ending Summer 2020 At Just Under 0.9% Marketshare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam On Linux Is Ending Summer 2020 At Just Under 0.9% Marketshare

Phoronix: Steam On Linux Is Ending Summer 2020 At Just Under 0.9% Marketshare

After a small dip in July, how did the Steam on Linux gaming marketshare end out for August prior to many gamers returning to school and others still being isolated at home? A small uptick but still under the 1% threshold...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That would be roughly 90k active Linux users

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
      That would be roughly 90k active Linux users
      Steam reports 13.6M to 20.6M concurrent users throughout the day, 0.89% of that = 121K-183K Linux users online at any given moment.
      it's harder to finder overall number of active users, looks like it's over 90M, so probably more than 800K active Linux users.

Comment

Comment

I truly appreciate Valve's support for Linux, both native and compatibility. Remote play is amazing as well.

What I find it remarkable that I bought the Orange Box in 2008 and played it originally on Windows XP. A friend bought me Portal 2 as a gift around 2011. Years later, I figured out there was Linux support and tried these titles on Ubuntu and Arch without any issues. It was so perfect and such a painless transition, I wish more things worked like this.

Comment

"Steam on Linux is Ending [...]"

My heart skipped a beat.

Comment

A less popular opinion: I hate to say this in a Linux topic but Microsoft is not going to let go of the Gaming crown on the PC market in the near future.

As somebody who spend probably 20 years trying different linux desktops, always backtracking on some issues, and back to Windows.

Recently with the release of WSL2, in combination with docker for Windows and the incredibly integration between WSL2+Docker+VisualStudioCode, i can to the conclusion that there is really no reason to push myself anymore to try Linux Desktops. As i feel that i now really have a perfect "linux like" combination at the tip of my fingers, while still maintaining the base gaming platform that is windows. A Go Containers, just a few commands. A PHP container, same. It feels like your really running Linux CLI under the hood but with a better integration.

Even with the recent gaming improvements on Linux ( that are not so perfect as some claim they are ), it really came down to the choice of simply getting work done.

I personally think, that WSL2+Docker, is slowly going to take developers back from Apple, while at the same time, preventing people ( because no need for pure Linux ) from leaving to Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by cmakeshift View Post
                "Steam on Linux is Ending [...]"

My heart skipped a beat.
                Yeah, me too.

Comment

I love linux, gaming and Folding@Home. Windows is just easier and less hassle than linux for gaming. Odd slowdowns in late rts gameplay and other odd quirks just make it untenable. I've not had much chance to play native ports as the games I own don't really have them. I still occasionally install a few games here and there, but just find Windows so much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by benjiro View Post
                    A less popular opinion: I hate to say this in a Linux topic but Microsoft is not going to let go of the Gaming crown on the PC market in the near future.

As somebody who spend probably 20 years trying different linux desktops, always backtracking on some issues, and back to Windows.

Recently with the release of WSL2, in combination with docker for Windows and the incredibly integration between WSL2+Docker+VisualStudioCode, i can to the conclusion that there is really no reason to push myself anymore to try Linux Desktops. As i feel that i now really have a perfect "linux like" combination at the tip of my fingers, while still maintaining the base gaming platform that is windows. A Go Containers, just a few commands. A PHP container, same. It feels like your really running Linux CLI under the hood but with a better integration.

Even with the recent gaming improvements on Linux ( that are not so perfect as some claim they are ), it really came down to the choice of simply getting work done.

I personally think, that WSL2+Docker, is slowly going to take developers back from Apple, while at the same time, preventing people ( because no need for pure Linux ) from leaving to Linux.
                    That's a pretty good write up. I agree. Linux has failed as a gaming platform and for good technical reasons at that.

It's just not a platform for closed source. I get more stability from running Linux native games via ProtonDB (thanks steam for that option btw.) in many cases.

OS update? Oh no a native game stopped working coz <libX>. Game update? Crash on start. It's been pretty ridiculous tbh.

I'm saying this as a Linux main since early 2000s. I'm never going to switch to Windows of Mac for my main setup since they both suck on so many levels, but for gaming, Linux has failed and I don't think with how things are setup up that it can succeed.

Comment

Working...
                    X