Nintendo Switch Controller Driver To Be Upstreamed With Linux 5.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nintendo Switch Controller Driver To Be Upstreamed With Linux 5.10

Phoronix: Nintendo Switch Controller Driver To Be Upstreamed With Linux 5.10

There has been the out-of-tree DKMS hid-nintendo driver to support the Nintendo Switch controller on Linux while with the Linux 5.10 kernel later this year that driver will be merged...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

3 years too late, but better late than never I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Considering it's an impressive amount of functionality for a controller that is niche outside of the Switch and developed by volunteers, I'd say that's a reasonable amount of time.

Comment

I'm glad to see this, it's actually a nice bonus. I've purchased mine Nintendo Switch PRO controller only two month ago. Also, would be Nintendo Switch PRO controller more comfortable, than keyboard + mouse?

Anyway, the biggest blocker to use it with PC is, a missing strong GPU to play games on,... AMD is very behind in eGPU market. If AMD doesn't deliver laptops with USB4 ports for eGPU support, I'll go next with an Intel laptop with Thunderbolt. And, then I can play games on PC using Nintendo Switch PRO controller.

Comment

That's not really true. The switch emulators are just becoming good enough to replace the actual hardware for a lot of the games. A good use case for this driver.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

That's not really true. The switch emulators are just becoming good enough to replace the actual hardware for a lot of the games. A good use case for this driver.
            Well, emulators just devalue the product. Nintendo Switch isn't worth emulating, as it's performance wise a worse platform, than PC. The advantage of Nintendo Switch is gaming optimized for controllers, which can be played in handheld and TV modes.

Comment

Then why didn't *you* do it, if you think you could've done it faster?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Then why didn't *you* do it, if you think you could've done it faster?
                I could not have done it faster. I have no idea how to code in C, I have no experience coding device drivers or reverse engineering protocols. I am not a intelligent guy. I am a pretty dumb guy.

Comment

Working...
                X