Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXVK 1.7.1 Released With Many Game Fixes For Direct3D Over Vulkan

Phoronix: DXVK 1.7.1 Released With Many Game Fixes For Direct3D Over Vulkan

It's been nearly three months without a new DXVK release for mapping Direct3D 9/10/11 atop the Vulkan API while finally today there is a big feature release out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This dxvk version works ok in my case with x32 and x64 apps with lastest vulkan dev nvidia drivers

Shantae Half Genie Hero Ultimate DX9 32bits

Granblue Fantasy Versus

Last edited by pinguinpc; 15 August 2020, 10:02 AM.

Comment

This dxvk thing is really the shit.
      They came such a long way.
      I hope they'll be able to iron out most of the DRM (copy protection) and anti-cheat solutions soon.
      I believe there was some kernel patch in the works for that right?

Comment

Gentooers I have an ebuild for 1.7.1 in the FireBurn Overlay, it builds with both winelib and mingw

Comment

I hope they can have a look at why the GTA V online from EpicGames is crashing.
          The workaround with another process being started before and doing something in background works, but it brings the performance down a lot.
          For the single player after seeing that runs so well with such high FPS, I installed DXVK on Windows 7 too for the same game.
          I could not believe that the installation was so easy (just copied some DXVK dlls in GTA V's folder) and that I gained 30-40 FPS more that brought the performance to the same level with Linux.
          Good job and thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            I could not believe that the installation was so easy (just copied some DXVK dlls in GTA V's folder) and that I gained 30-40 FPS more that brought the performance to the same level with Linux.
            Whoa higher performance on Windows using DXVK than the native Windows library? That's sick.

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post

Whoa higher performance on Windows using DXVK than the native Windows library? That's sick.
              Yep, I couldn't have believed it if I hadn't tried it myself, but the game on Linux with Lutris + DXVK was much faster than native version on Windows so I had to try and I was not disappointed.
              Good that I found one day a video on Youtube that explained that you can install it on Windows too.
              Anyway, here's how to do it if anyone is interested
              We where attacked by a Bot so the Discord invite is dead here is a new one please join us a chat up a storm https://discord.gg/6jCsV8yuaF https://discord.gg/...

And screw you Microsoft with your vendor locked DX12!
              Vulkan is available on Windows 7 too and it works so well that it improves the FPS even for non-Vulkan DirectX games!

Of course this it could be because I have an AMD GPU (RX 570) which from what I've heard the OpenGL and DirectX driver for Windows might not be as good as Nvidia's, but the Vulkan one looks like it is.
              God bless the DXVK developer(s) for making our lives much better, no matter the operating system!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                Of course this it could be because I have an AMD GPU (RX 570) which from what I've heard the OpenGL and DirectX driver for Windows might not be as good as Nvidia's, but the Vulkan one looks like it is.
                While there's no question that the AMD GL/DX drivers aren't on par with nvidia's, that position is predominantly a matter of the crashing the whole machine, and not working CORRECTLY, not the performance delta. After all, you're using different hardware in the first place, so while the nvidia driver is nearly always head on that front too, it doesn't matter: it's comparing apples to oranges.

My guess is what you're seeing is just a side-effect of being able to split some of the work to a different thread, not the Vulkan driver being massively more performant than the DX one. Yes, it's simpler to write and doesn't have 20 years of cruft in it and etc etc, but the DX driver has had some very talented people working very hard on optimising it for decades now, especially for high-profile games like GTA V. But it's that INHERENT potential for threading that's the key factor here, I expect, not that the VK driver itself is somehow just "much better code".

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post
                  My guess is what you're seeing is just a side-effect of being able to split some of the work to a different thread, not the Vulkan driver being massively more performant than the DX one. [...]But it's that INHERENT potential for threading that's the key factor here, I expect, not that the VK driver itself is somehow just "much better code".
                  So after all those years DX devs couldn't figure out how to get such huge improvement and use threading?
                  Last edited by Volta; 14 August 2020, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Kinda makes me wonder if running Linux-native OpenGL games would actually run faster using the Windows version + DXVK.

Comment

Working...
                    X