Fedora's FESCo Approves Using DXVK As Their Default Wine Direct3D Back-End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora's FESCo Approves Using DXVK As Their Default Wine Direct3D Back-End

Phoronix: Fedora's FESCo Approves Using DXVK As Their Default Wine Direct3D Back-End

Last month was the proposal for Fedora to make DXVK their default back-end for Direct3D 9/10/11 usage with their packaged Wine build rather than WineD3D. That's now been approved for Fedora 33!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At least for DX9 I would have hoped for gallium-nine as default. DXVK [d3d9] has bad performance in some games (i.e. everything Gamebryo engine: Fallout 3, NV; Oblivion, Skyrim non-SE) where it decides to have over 120 renderpasses indoors which drops FPS to 40 on a good PC. When wrapping the same games through dgVoodoo first, followed by DXVK [d3d11] the same scene only needs 18 renderpasses and does not have performance issues.

Comment

Gamebryo D3D9 runs fine with DXVK, perhaps your x32 build isn't compiled with mingw + dwarf2 exception patch.

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
        At least for DX9 I would have hoped for gallium-nine as default. DXVK [d3d9] has bad performance in some games (i.e. everything Gamebryo engine: Fallout 3, NV; Oblivion, Skyrim non-SE) where it decides to have over 120 renderpasses indoors which drops FPS to 40 on a good PC. When wrapping the same games through dgVoodoo first, followed by DXVK [d3d11] the same scene only needs 18 renderpasses and does not have performance issues.
        To wager a guess -- because gallium-nine only works for 2 out of 3 brands of GPUs and the 1 out of 3 that g-n doesn't work with is arguably the most popular GPU maker on the market.

FWIW -- I buy the other brand, but numbers are numbers and it makes sense for them, and any other distribution for that matter, to go the DXVK route because iit offers a setup that should work for everyone whereas gallium-nine is a lot more specific in its use and targeted graphics API.

Comment

Wine devs complained that DXVK was a waste of time. In the end, the proof is in the pudding. The people behind DXVK are visionaries.

I hope they work on a Xorg/Wayland replacement next.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

To wager a guess -- because gallium-nine only works for 2 out of 3 brands of GPUs and the 1 out of 3 that g-n doesn't work with is arguably the most popular GPU maker on the market.

FWIW -- I buy the other brand, but numbers are numbers and it makes sense for them, and any other distribution for that matter, to go the DXVK route because iit offers a setup that should work for everyone whereas gallium-nine is a lot more specific in its use and targeted graphics API.
            Yeah, from a distro's POV there is value in having the same software solution running for all hardware rather than mixing and matching. It makes it a lot easier to track down whether issues are related to DXVK/WINE or the drivers, should result in fewer bug reports and more bugs that are more easily reproducible by others, etc.

If DXVK didn't exist I'd still like to see Nine as an option, but at this point i think DXVK is doing well enough it's a solid choice for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
              Wine devs complained that DXVK was a waste of time. In the end, the proof is in the pudding. The people behind DXVK are visionaries.

I hope they work on a Xorg/Wayland replacement next.
              There already is Xorg replacement and it's called Wayland. There won't be another one.

Comment

kiffmet Please feel free to make an issue, doesn't happen on my machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

There already is Xorg replacement and it's called Wayland. There won't be another one.
                  Wayland doesn't work, and never will.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post

Wayland doesn't work, and never will.
                    It does unlike your brain.

Comment

Working...
                    X