X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AndyChow
    replied
    Originally posted by Volta View Post

There's no hope for you. xwayland is compatibility layer for legacy applications and application which aren't fully ported to Wayland yet. Wayland itself is more simple, more optimal and far more secure. It just implements xwayland for reasons mentioned earlier. I can use Wayland without xwayland right now. What's more funny running applications in xwayland is also much more secure than Xorg itself!
    Ah, I see. Thank you for your knowledge.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    Originally posted by AndyChow View Post

Thank you for your personal insult. Still doesn't fix wayland, which requires xwayland, which just means wayland is a wrapper around Xorg. So actually wayland is a more complicated structure than Xorg. And when will you be able to use wayland without xwayland? That's not even in the roadmap anymore. Out of scope, too complicated.

But hey, keep drinking the kool-aid.
    There's no hope for you. xwayland is compatibility layer for legacy applications and application which aren't fully ported to Wayland yet. Wayland itself is more simple, more optimal and far more secure. It just implements xwayland for reasons mentioned earlier. I can use Wayland without xwayland right now. What's more funny running applications in xwayland is also much more secure than Xorg itself!

Leave a comment:

• AndyChow
    replied

It does unlike your brain.
    Thank you for your personal insult. Still doesn't fix wayland, which requires xwayland, which just means wayland is a wrapper around Xorg. So actually wayland is a more complicated structure than Xorg. And when will you be able to use wayland without xwayland? That's not even in the roadmap anymore. Out of scope, too complicated.

But hey, keep drinking the kool-aid.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied

Wayland doesn't work, and never will.
    It does unlike your brain.

Leave a comment:

• AndyChow
    replied

There already is Xorg replacement and it's called Wayland. There won't be another one.
    Wayland doesn't work, and never will.

Leave a comment:

• JoshuaAshton
    replied
    kiffmet Please feel free to make an issue, doesn't happen on my machine.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    Wine devs complained that DXVK was a waste of time. In the end, the proof is in the pudding. The people behind DXVK are visionaries.

I hope they work on a Xorg/Wayland replacement next.
    There already is Xorg replacement and it's called Wayland. There won't be another one.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

To wager a guess -- because gallium-nine only works for 2 out of 3 brands of GPUs and the 1 out of 3 that g-n doesn't work with is arguably the most popular GPU maker on the market.

FWIW -- I buy the other brand, but numbers are numbers and it makes sense for them, and any other distribution for that matter, to go the DXVK route because iit offers a setup that should work for everyone whereas gallium-nine is a lot more specific in its use and targeted graphics API.
    Yeah, from a distro's POV there is value in having the same software solution running for all hardware rather than mixing and matching. It makes it a lot easier to track down whether issues are related to DXVK/WINE or the drivers, should result in fewer bug reports and more bugs that are more easily reproducible by others, etc.

If DXVK didn't exist I'd still like to see Nine as an option, but at this point i think DXVK is doing well enough it's a solid choice for everyone.

Leave a comment:

• AndyChow
    replied
    Wine devs complained that DXVK was a waste of time. In the end, the proof is in the pudding. The people behind DXVK are visionaries.

I hope they work on a Xorg/Wayland replacement next.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
    At least for DX9 I would have hoped for gallium-nine as default. DXVK [d3d9] has bad performance in some games (i.e. everything Gamebryo engine: Fallout 3, NV; Oblivion, Skyrim non-SE) where it decides to have over 120 renderpasses indoors which drops FPS to 40 on a good PC. When wrapping the same games through dgVoodoo first, followed by DXVK [d3d11] the same scene only needs 18 renderpasses and does not have performance issues.
    To wager a guess -- because gallium-nine only works for 2 out of 3 brands of GPUs and the 1 out of 3 that g-n doesn't work with is arguably the most popular GPU maker on the market.

FWIW -- I buy the other brand, but numbers are numbers and it makes sense for them, and any other distribution for that matter, to go the DXVK route because iit offers a setup that should work for everyone whereas gallium-nine is a lot more specific in its use and targeted graphics API.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X