Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darkstar0129
    replied
    And I apologize for any typos. I reread my comment before posting, I'm just completely exhausted today.

Leave a comment:

• Darkstar0129
    replied
    My only ten cents on this, and I do comment much, is this: Back in 2012 we got Steam for Linux. A big thing for us. Valve said they would support Linux because of the direction Windows was taking. Realistically, all I see this is is Valve fulfilling their promise. They have the money behind them and the talent as far as development to help out Wine. Wine benefits a lot from their work. Valve's steam boxes failed in a very epic way. So If you all notice, they started working on Wine and now we have VK3D-Proton. They are contributing to Linux and helping anyway they can. All I am saying is... It seems to me, as much as Valve gets a lot of flak around here about "not caring" from some, they are in fact, fulfilling what they said. Gabe Newell has been doing a nice job of keeping his promise. Look how fast things have progressed thanks to Valve on the gaming front for Linux. Fork or not... They are keeping promises. Tell me how many companies actually do that? How much vaporware do we see or failed projects? Sometimes even empty promises... People contribute to a Kickstarter and the project either fails or doesn't do what they say. As closed and DRM ridden as Steam is, I'm thankful for Gabe Newell actually trying as hard as he is to keep his promises to Linux as a whole to bring gaming to us in some way. Instead of arguing, he happy for what you all get. Linux is woefully ignored as a whole. So anytime I see any company, be it IBM giving money to Linux development, Valve forking projects and spending money to improve our experience, and even Wine for existing for 27 years and trying to make our experience amazing if we need Windows compatibility. There's lots to be happy about. Quite complaining and recognize what they are trying to do. This is just my ten cents. I am not looking to start a flame war. We are where we are now because of Valve on the gaming front. They're doing a lot for us.

Leave a comment:

• Aryma
    replied
    c++ is good as long as you know whst are doing and i give rust as example because i interesting to learning it

Leave a comment:

• Almindor
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    the reason is they don't know c++
    but since rust rewriters are busy writing forum posts, someone else has to write software in real language
    As a Rust rewriter I have to say I laughed pretty hard at this comment. You get a big useless + from me!

Leave a comment:

• peterdk
    replied
    Tried it with Anno 1800, now it can run in DX12 mode. But unfortunately it hangs after moving the screen around the island. Also some weird texture issues that DXVK did not have and framerate is lower in DX12 somehow then in DX11. Still, nice to see it improve.

Leave a comment:

• Auzy
    replied
    I can't believe I'm literally debating with people who think they can manage the project better than Alexandre Julliard in regards to Wine. It's literally his life work. He's been running this project from the start, and it's grown into 6 million lines of code. 27 years of coding, vs your experiences.

Just to be clear, do you guys honestly believe you know more about how to manage Wine than him. You seriously think he shouldn't be running the project?

If C++ is so beneficial to the project, you guys should be able to fork it, and quickly overtake the original project (given that neither Valve, Codeweavers nor transgaming did so, suggests that incompetence isn't the reason why it wasn't done). Sorry, I tend to suspect that the guy with 27 years of experience here is a bit more competent than you guys think (I also find it disrespectful that people here are suggesting he's an idiot).

Also, I wouldn't call C an OOP language (it may support objects, but I wouldn't say it's an OOP language per say). But I only do programming as a hobby (and these days, only do crappy languages like Lua and Javascript, so what would i know?).
    Last edited by Auzy; 19 July 2020, 09:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Alexmitter
    replied
    Originally posted by Aryma View Post
    i will affect with stupidity if keep arguing with you guys
    wine is good for :
    1 photoshop/adobe stuff and others productivity software
    2 ms office
    3 game
    look like wine team don't give priority to this 3 I don't know why they waste time in something else
    Mainly, Wine is good for running legacy productivity software on Linux, that's mainly why companies pay CodeWeavers for their product.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by Aryma View Post
    look like wine team don't give priority to this 3 I don't know why they waste time in something else
    did you pay them for any of those 3? (hint: you are paying valve for third one with every steam purchase. now we can talk about stupidity)
    Last edited by pal666; 19 July 2020, 08:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Aryma
    replied
    i will affect with stupidity if keep arguing with you guys
    wine is good for :
    1 photoshop/adobe stuff and others productivity software
    2 ms office
    3 game

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

That doesn't answer the question in any way. I'll repeat it - why is the fork needed? Try answering it, instead of trolling.

To give you a hint, forks usually happen, if upstream can't accept changes for whatever reason. If you know the reason feel free to explain, instead of coming up with cake analogies.
    It's obviously because you need a fork to eat a cake....unless it's an ice cream cake where you'd want a spoon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X