Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Working On A VKD3D Fork For Getting Direct3D 12 Advanced For Proton / Steam Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    CP2077 will feature RTX stuff like DLSS, it will be interesting to see if somehow those can be supported also. DLSS would certainly help as it increases performance quite a bit at little image cost.

I really don't know the state of RTX features under Vulkan, or if NVIDIA even support them under anything outside of DirectX/DXR
    even so RTX it's not support in AMD so does that mean CP2077 will only work in Nvidia cards and how about GTX 1080/1070 or GTX 16-series?

Comment

From the original interview:
      Cyberpunk 2077 will work absolutely fine with all DX12-compatible GPUs.
      [ https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Cyber...rview-1353192/ ]

So AMD and GTX 1xxx series will work just fine, just without raytracing.

Comment

This is cool.

I bet if the steam machines were released with linux gaming in it's current state, it wouldn't have been such a complete flop. For most DX11 games there's maybe a 5-10% fps drop running on linux now through dxvk, for dx9 it's only slightly worse off, only DX12 games are in trouble since there's a massive performance hit there still with vkd3d.

But DX12 is not that prevalent yet anyways (it's seriously taking a while )

SteamOS would still be the weakest link though, the steam machines themselves weren't bad but steamos was hot garbage so I guess that would need to be further improved by quite a bit still to see some real success.

Honestly they should go the playstation route; go full console with the gui; only allowing an actual desktop interface if separately installed. This is what the console crowd actually wants, so market it to them, not us; and actually remember to market it this time maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
          It remains to be seen how much performance hit D3D12 games will have. D3D11 to Vulkan was a translation from a higher level API to a lower level one, this time both APIs are relatively the same level.
          overhead should be lower

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post

even so RTX it's not support in AMD so does that mean CP2077 will only work in Nvidia cards and how about GTX 1080/1070 or GTX 16-series?
            You can play without RT.

Comment

Originally posted by Pranos View Post
              You can play without RT.
              Actually, non-RTX vulkan RT support was added fairly recently to vulkan so AMD and Intel can both support RT through vulkan. The same is true if its native or through wine/proton.

There's just no way to do it at this time for any of them in dx12 however with wine/proton. Its going to be MIA for a good amount longer most likely.

It can be done with a native application today on Linux with any gpu that supports RT and vulkan but I would have to double check if a vulkan game would work in wine/proton with RT - there's no reason why that shouldn't I think.
              Last edited by ix900; 07 July 2020, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                SteamOS would still be the weakest link though, the steam machines themselves weren't bad but steamos was hot garbage so I guess that would need to be further improved by quite a bit still to see some real success.

Honestly they should go the playstation route; go full console with the gui; only allowing an actual desktop interface if separately installed. This is what the console crowd actually wants, so market it to them, not us; and actually remember to market it this time maybe.
                Are you aware that current SteamOS has a console-like interface and always did?
                It's the "Steam Big Picture mode" and you can enable it on Windows too

Comment

no sane game developer will lock out a so large amount of customers for a gimmick graphic feature

Comment

It will remain ANSI C, with cmake build system?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      Are you aware that current SteamOS has a console-like interface and always did?
                      It's the "Steam Big Picture mode" and you can enable it on Windows too
                      I meant a real console interface, steam big picture is just a makeshift console-like interface which is a part of the steam client, it's kinda slow and clunky, I mean that they should really make a new DE or alternatively wayland compositor (though DE is a lot safer) that is a console interface and is integrated with steam because big picture mode just isn't good enough, it looks and feels clunky, and it's lacking features that say the PS4 and Xbox interface have, not to mention it is slower.

Steam's always been a slow piece of shit, and they can't let that happen in their steamos.

I'm saying they need to entirely ditch gnome and big picture mode and make an actual, proper, console gui, with integrated utilities like MPV for video playback,, the ability to download and install chrome or firefox (e.g. the ability to choose, not to mention use browser extensions), things of that nature.
                      Last edited by rabcor; 07 July 2020, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X