Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine Staging 5.10 Adds Another Patch For Denuvo + A Fix For Numerous D3D11 Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cybmax View Post
    [...] as english is not my native language.
    Then we have one thing in common. English isn't my native language either. And stop nitpicking on the numbers. I think most of the readers got my point. Wine as it is delivered by Fedora simply requires too much space these days. What I wanted to say is that you can go and install Windows 10 - which guarantees that everything works properly - rather than dealing with 1.3gb of Fedora package requirements and a Wine installation that still cause a lot of irritations for the programs that the end user may want to run.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post

Then we have one thing in common. English isn't my native language either. And stop nitpicking on the numbers. I think most of the readers got my point. Wine as it is delivered by Fedora simply requires too much space these days. What I wanted to say is that you can go and install Windows 10 - which guarantees that everything works properly - rather than dealing with 1.3gb of Fedora package requirements and a Wine installation that still cause a lot of irritations for the programs that the end user may want to run.
      Well, tbh it is not the "same" running a game using wine, as it is using Windows. Cos if you are doing it "right", you should BUY windows. Sure, you can avoid buying it, but is it the right thing to do?
      Then you have to dual-boot. What if you want to read mail, or browse.. or whatever while gaming? Oh, just install that, right? Discord i hear you say? Sure.. just install that. After a while of doing that, i can assure you that no matter how you twist and turn those numbers, using a "real" windows installation is NOT what the rest of us want to do. Yeah, yeah.. QEMU virtualization and whatnot on dual-screens will get you away from dualboot, but you should still buy a Windows license.

If "we" (as in the ppl using Linux and variations of it) did not want to run Linux cos we loathe the M$ business model (or whatever other reasons we might have for NOT running Windoze), we would use windows. If you are a gamer, and spend 99% of your time doing that, i cannot say i think Linux is the correct way to go tbh. But if you are into things like opensource, security, freedom of choice and all those other benefits that come with using Linux... Well, it is a rather moot point arguing here that "windows is just better".

For reference, WineHQ created Ubuntu packages uses on my system 856MB when installed (wine-staging). My selfcompiled ones use 432MB. Steam Proton currently uses 1GB. If the Fedora packages uses 1.3GB, i am not sure ranting about it here will solve anything.

Comment

Working...
      X