Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine Staging 5.10 Adds Another Patch For Denuvo + A Fix For Numerous D3D11 Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Candy View Post
    Installing Wine on Fedora 32 requires 1.3 G on HD space. I mean - with this size, I can install Windows 10 on a different partition and use the real thing.
    I guess it is a few decades since you ran any sort of live windows version then....

Comment

Originally posted by dEnigma View Post

If you truly believe that Windows 10 only takes up 1.3 GB of disk space you're in for a surprise.
      That wasn't my point! Point is that Fedora requires 1.3 G on installation garbage to get an halfassed Windows subsystem re-implementation set up. Knowing this, I can easily install twice or third that size and get a real Windows system that actually operates "correctly" (in terms of Windows).

I remember times where Wine took less than 300mb for an full installation. These days Fedora bundles 32bit as weill as 64bit. No matter if you "need" the 32bit stuff (if you run Windows 64bit programs only) or not.

Comment

Installing Wine on Fedora 32 requires 1.3 G on HD space. I mean - with this size, I can install Windows 10 on a different partition and use the real thing.
        i mean, only idiot could think that windows 10 fits in 1.3 gb

Comment

That wasn't my point! Point is that Fedora requires 1.3 G on installation garbage to get an halfassed Windows subsystem re-implementation set up. Knowing this, I can easily install twice or third that size and get a real Windows system that actually operates "correctly" (in terms of Windows).
          no, you still can't. my point was that you are idiot
          I remember times where Wine took less than 300mb for an full installation.
          maybe you also remember size of windows 3.1?
          These days Fedora bundles 32bit as weill as 64bit.
          just as windows

Comment

Not that big of a deal these days, Considering win10 eats over 50gb on a fresh install.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverFox View Post

Not that big of a deal these days, Considering win10 eats over 50gb on a fresh install.
              I would say it's between 15-20 gb depending on the architecture you're on.

Comment

I would say it's between 15-20 gb depending on the architecture you're on.
                Intel 64bit. For the last couple of years for me it's sits heavily at 51GB using win10 Pro even with candy crush & farming saga removed!
                Back on topic, I dont mind the size of wine because the performance is amazing compared to where it was at a year or so ago.

Comment

I remember times where Wine took less than 300mb for an full installation. These days Fedora bundles 32bit as weill as 64bit. No matter if you "need" the 32bit stuff (if you run Windows 64bit programs only) or not.
                  Dude, disk space is extremely cheap these days. Stop whining.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Dude, disk space is extremely cheap these days. Stop whining.
                    It depends on how your working environment is set up. Just because disk space is cheap these days doesn't mean that it fits any use case.

Comment

My idiot meter just hit red...
                      So, let me see if i get this correct.
                      1. You whine cos wine uses 1.3GB of disk space "these days".
                      2. Ppl indicate that a REAL windows 10 installations uses 15-20+ GB installed. (My clean-no-fuzz-or-custom-hacks install of VBox image of win10 is +/- 13GB)
                      3. You then go on about you actually being able to install "twice or third that size" to get a real windows system?

Now.. Excuse me for not grasping this, as english is not my native language.. but does not "third the size" mean 1/3 of the size? While "twice the size" mean 2x the size? Giving my poor english skills and missunderstandings and such a benefit of the doubt, i am willing to grant you that you actually mean "between 2 or 3 times the size of that". So, this will mean that you are able to install windows 10 using between 2.6GB and 3.9GB?

Yeah, i am pretty sure you actually CAN get win10 down to 3-4GB with enough removal/hacks/trimming.... But you can get wine slimmed down a great deal too if you bother to compile yourself. And NO, do not fu**'ing tell me you dont wanna do the effort, cos slimming down Windows 10 installed with drivers+++ to 3-4GB requires a LOT more effort than compiling wine yourself.

But hey, keep on digging yourself deeper into that hole... It is nice to get a laugh now and again

Comment

Working...
                      X