Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A New Kernel Patch Is Being Discussed That's Needed For Newer Windows Games On Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atomsymbol
    Wine isn't implementing any kind of binary translation (as far as I know), so intercepting calls would require a lot of programming effort.
    You are right and wrong kind of at the same time. The areas where wine project linked items does do binary translation:
    1) dosbox for dos programs and that does do binary translation.
    2) https://github.com/AndreRH/hangover The hangover work and prior userspace mode qemu stuff.

With copyright protection and anti-cheat and anti-debug its a lot more than a little extra effort intercepting calls. When you have to all three I just listed could mean the program you have in front of you is a polymorphic engine that is rewriting its binary on the fly in places so no you cannot use static binary translation. So binary translation for wine fairly much equals taking the overhead hit of qemu for dynamic binary translation or in other words way too much performance hit for most games.

Reason why patching kernel instead of doing binary translation is that binary translation is way too costly particularly with the stuff wine has to run.

Comment

More linuxisms in wine is not a good thing. Wine already doesn't work on OpenBSD, has problems on NetBSD, fortunately the FreeBSD support is still quite serviceable for the 32bit apps I need to run but I don't see this change getting ported to FreeBSD anytime soon so more modern games that won't run on FreeBSD. Right now the best solution seems to be a ZFS FreeBSD solution for actual work and a separate SSD with WIndows 10 installed for games.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
        This feature does open up the possibility of full blown WSL 1 in reverse. As in Windows 10 userspace running on the Linux kernel.

HEHE, that would be fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
          More linuxisms in wine is not a good thing. Wine already doesn't work on OpenBSD, has problems on NetBSD, fortunately the FreeBSD support is still quite serviceable for the 32bit apps I need to run but I don't see this change getting ported to FreeBSD anytime soon so more modern games that won't run on FreeBSD. Right now the best solution seems to be a ZFS FreeBSD solution for actual work and a separate SSD with WIndows 10 installed for games.
          Who cares about BSD? And even people who do, why do they care about a linux specific thing that affects them not? If they want the feature, they can implement it on their kernel.... No one is stopping them....

Comment

Why do you think Wine has to be system agnostic? BSD is nowhere close Linux, so launching games in Wine in BSD is pain. There's NO support from BSD crowd for Linux DE's and applications like Gnome, KDE, Wine. Why do you think they should bother? FreeBSD is trying to catch up by implementing linuxism. The truth is you either follow Linux or you're left in the wilds.
            Last edited by Volta; 01 June 2020, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
              Can't they intercept the call when the executable is loaded and change it to a normal call?
              They can't, the call is often in a dynamically generated or otherwise self-modifying code.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Who cares about BSD? And even people who do, why do they care about a linux specific thing that affects them not? If they want the feature, they can implement it on their kernel.... No one is stopping them....
                Originally posted by Volta View Post

Why do you think Wine has to be system agnostic? BSD is nowhere close Linux, so launching games in Wine in BSD is pain. There's NO support from BSD crowd for Linux DE's and applications like Gnome, KDE, Wine. Why do you think they should bother? FreeBSD is trying to catch up by implementing linuxism. The truth is you either follow Linux or you're left in the wilds.
                From WineHQ front page:
                What is Wine?

Wine (originally an acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator") is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications on several POSIX-compliant operating systems, such as Linux, macOS, & BSD.

Comment

you can't run least mesa3d and Nvidia driver in BSD based OS why would DEV care about OS with bad design

Comment

I hope this + fsync will land in 5.9.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

The wine developers themselves value cross platform portability.

Comment

Working...
                      X