Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A New Kernel Patch Is Being Discussed That's Needed For Newer Windows Games On Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Kernel Patch Is Being Discussed That's Needed For Newer Windows Games On Wine

Phoronix: A New Kernel Patch Is Being Discussed That's Needed For Newer Windows Games On Wine

Newer Windows games/applications are making use of system call instructions from the application code without resorting to the WinAPI and that is breaking Wine emulation support. A Linux kernel patch is now being worked on for addressing this issue in the form of system call isolation based on memory areas while having a smaller performance hit than alternatives...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Newer Windows games/applications are making use of system call instructions from the application code without resorting to the WinAPI
    Why are they doing that?

Comment

Nothing new with Wine then.

Comment

Originally posted by MadWatch View Post
        Why are they doing that?
        Some executable packers do this in attempt to thwart attempts to unpack protected executables.
        Some anticheats do this in attempt to perform tasks in a way that it would be hard to detect/debug.

Comment

so this is mostly for anticheats software?
          i wonder when the viruses from windows will work on linux

Comment

What happened to fsync patches? Are the close to being accepted upstream?

Comment

to fix this security mess we need to OS one for online activity and one for offline or trusted website only

Comment

Can't they intercept the call when the executable is loaded and change it to a normal call?

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post

Some executable packers do this in attempt to thwart attempts to unpack protected executables.
                  Some anticheats do this in attempt to perform tasks in a way that it would be hard to detect/debug.
                  So they're applying hacks by bypassing official APIs and depending on low-level system calls instead. If history is any indication, this will not only cause problems with WINE on Linux, but also once people have upgraded to newer Windows versions, which would cause problems with older software written like this.

It's typical how it's mostly DRM and anti-cheating software that relies on such shenanigans. All examples of pointless client-side security.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
                    to fix this security mess we need to OS one for online activity and one for offline or trusted website only
                    Most people I know already do this. For example I use an "online cesspit" Jail to create effectively a soft "airgap" between my OS and the rest of the world. Other solutions are LXC, Docker or (if you don't need GPU or hardware devices) VMs like KVM or Bhyve.

For machines that really don't need to go online (i.e if you justifiably use cracked software with license compliance), then a physically disconnected machine is the best solution.
                    Last edited by kpedersen; 31 May 2020, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X