No announcement yet.

Half-Life: Alyx Update Adds Native Linux Support, Vulkan Rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I just need a Linux version of Virtual Desktop like app so I can use my Quest under Linux wireless (works just as good as LINK cables). One day...

Comment

It's a very very very good! Thanks VALVE =)

Comment

Valve's Dan Ginsberg tweeted:
        I'm really pleased with how the Linux version runs on AMD RADV where we have async reprojection in SteamVR via a high priority compute queue. We look forward to getting that on NVIDIA but are awaiting driver support, so for now we recommend mesa/AMD.
        I'm guessing that refers to VK_EXT_global_priority. Valve were involved with adding that to the Vulkan spec, RADV, and AMDGPU back in 2017.
        Last edited by anth; 16 May 2020, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HarlemSquirrel View Post
          AMD graphics recommended?! Who dis?!?
          We told you free software driver would triumph. You just did not believe.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
            First time I am seeing a dev exclude Nvidia and specifically recommend an AMD graphics card.
            Yeah, Valve has been contributing to AMD GPU drivers and RADV specificailly. Thanks to the open source driver, they can get insight into driver problems and due to their contributions can influence driver quality and performance. It makes sense.

I'm pretty sure Valve is still planning to launch some kind of Steam console in the future. Main question is when.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              And for those w/o Linux, Steam, VR, or possibly even money, Epic is giving out GTA V for free

But as an AMD and Linux fan, really to see an AMD GPU with the open driver as the recommended setup
              Who is going to get GTA V for free in 2020? I thought anyone who wanted to play it has already played it. The free gifts are probably to enable alter accounts....

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                And I still refuse to put a VR headset on my head.

Still a good news for Linux fans because they can claim there are native AAA games for Linux. Doesn't matter it's one or two games a year or they are released many many months after their original Windows versions.
                Why? I would love to put one on my head

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  And I still refuse to put a VR headset on my head.
                  At first, you should put something into your head.

Comment

I'm still going to buy this game even if I don't have any VR set. Just to support developers and maybe some day I will be able to play.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post

May I ask why?
                      1. Cost (needs a much beefier system than your normal games) + a good VR headset alone costs $1000 (Valve Index) - in my country people on average earn just $500 ... a month
                      2. Space
                      3. Cables
                      4. Vertigo
                      5. Extreme eye strain
                      6. Still feels extremely clunky

Other than all of that it's just fine.

Sorry, I need a VR system which neither requires having any cables, nor wearing any gloves and has a 4K resolution for each eye and 120Hz refresh rate, and near zero lag (<10ms) when I'm spinning my head.
                      Last edited by birdie; 16 May 2020, 04:04 PM. Reason: Meant "still", wrote "steel"

Comment

Working...
                      X