Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 5.8 Released With GIF Encoder, More WineD3D Vulkan Progress

Phoronix: Wine 5.8 Released With GIF Encoder, More WineD3D Vulkan Progress

Wine 5.8 has been uncorked for the weekend as the newest bi-weekly development release for running Windows programs and games on Linux and other platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting that 4 of the fixes relate to Riot's Vanguard anti-cheat. Does this mean Valorant is on track to be playable under Wine now?
    Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 08 May 2020, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
      Interesting that 4 of the fixes relate to Riot's Vanguard anti-cheat. Does this mean Valorant is on track to be playable under Wine now?
      It surely means CodeWeavers are interested in getting it to work.

Comment

nice work as always winehq

Comment

I wonder how hard Winedevs are trying each day with each new problem. It will never end. Where is the inspiration coming from?

Comment

Originally posted by pranav View Post
            I wonder how hard Winedevs are trying each day with each new problem. It will never end. Where is the inspiration coming from?
            They work on an app by app basis otherwise they'd have long given up given the scale of the issue.

Comment

Wined3d will be eventually better than DXVK?

Comment

Originally posted by xcom View Post
                Wined3d will be eventually better than DXVK?
                It's possible since Philip Rebohle, the author of DXVK, has joined Wine development.

Comment

I think the idea is that an application experiencing an issue is a symptom of a difference in implementation (between Wine and Windows). Fix it at the root, and that does not only fix it in that one application, but all other applications using that feature. As a programmer, IMO those issues are the most satisfying to solve. Bang for buck. Of course there can still be regressions, but you know there is solution because the functioning Windows implementation is proof that there's at least one working solution.

Of course, adding application-specific workarounds may seem like a hack or short term solution, but once you've accumulated a number of workarounds for a number of applications, patterns will eventually emerge that lead to the heart of the problem, and ultimately to the proper solution. I've reverse-engineered a few dozen file formats throughout the years, nothing more rewarding than having figured out the purpose of that last byte.

People play Sudoku or cross-word puzzles just for fun. It's like that, but with a tangible end-result, one that is practically useful to others. I guess that what drives the Wine and ReactOS developers.

As for "It will never end", I don't think that's true. Given the vast framework of what Wine has become, it becomes increasingly easier to fill in the gaps in the puzzle. Also, as Windows 10 is degenerating into something wholly undesirable (from an end-user point of view), I don't think there will ever be a need for Wine to support any Windows platform beyond Win8-ish. There won't be much left of Windows to catch up with, at some point in time.
                  Last edited by Remdul; 09 May 2020, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X