Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SDL2 Sees Support For A Number Of Additional Controllers, Gamepads

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SDL2 Sees Support For A Number Of Additional Controllers, Gamepads

    Phoronix: SDL2 Sees Support For A Number Of Additional Controllers, Gamepads

    A number of additional game controllers / gamepads / input devices have been added to the SDL2 code-base in recent days...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...llers-April-20

  • #2
    i am not certain whether it's a good or a bad thing that the controller lists are directly in the code, instead of external file. ( https://hg.libsdl.org/SDL/rev/4a9898480762 )

    definitely makes a case for using sdl as a dynamic library, but that is not always possible.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
      definitely makes a case for using sdl as a dynamic library, but that is not always possible.
      SDL2 has its own dynamic-linking initialization code so that, even if you statically link it, end users can set an environment variable which will cause it to override itself with the version the variable points to.

      https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...tem&px=MTU2MzQ
      Last edited by ssokolow; 04-24-2020, 11:36 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Indeed hardcoded devices like that is quite dirty.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

          SDL2 has its own dynamic-linking initialization code so that, even if you statically link it, end users can set an environment variable which will cause it to override itself with the version the variable points to.

          https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...tem&px=MTU2MzQ
          i was thinking more of console homebrew/mobile apps where sdl2 is not provided system-wide library.

          also, not sure how ubuntu's snaps handle dynamic libraries.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post

            i was thinking more of console homebrew/mobile apps where sdl2 is not provided system-wide library.

            also, not sure how ubuntu's snaps handle dynamic libraries.
            From what I remember, it's possible to load an external gamepad database and the compiled-in one is to ensure a certain minimum level of functionality for games where the developers botched that functionality up.

            It's also possible to explicitly specify mappings using an environment variable and that's how Steam's gamepad configurator works. There's also a standalone one and Antimicro also shows the raw configuration string generated by its internal configurator.

            Comment

            Working...
            X