Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine's Direct3D Vulkan Backend Is Seeing Some New Activity

Phoronix: Wine's Direct3D Vulkan Backend Is Seeing Some New Activity

While there exists DXVK offering great Direct3D 9/10/11 support atop Vulkan that is used by Steam Play / Proton and others, Wine developers continue working on their Vulkan back-end to WineD3D as a similar Direct3D-over-Vulkan approach for pre-D3D12...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wake me when it works. zzzzz

Comment

What is Codeweavers plan for when Apple removes the deprecated OpenGL support in macOS? IIRC, vanilla wine doesn't even run in macOS 10.15 without using the special thunking build of Crossover.

Seems like their engineering resources would be better spent on fixing Mac support with an OpenGL and Direct3D to Metal translation layer, rather than reinventing the wheel that is DXVK.
      Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 17 April 2020, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
        What is Codeweavers plan for when Apple removes the deprecated OpenGL support in macOS? IIRC, vanilla wine doesn't even run in macOS 10.15 without using the special thunking build of Crossover.

Seems like their engineering resources would be better spent on fixing Mac support with an OpenGL and Direct3D to Metal translation layer, rather than reinventing the wheel that is DXVK.
        There's already MoltenVK to translate Vulkan into Metal for macOS. If everything can be translated to Vulkan, then it can just get run through MoltenVK.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

Pretty sure they said they were going to write everything in Vulkan and use MoltenVK.

Comment

That's strange, Wine devs tend to reject everything that doesn't work on all platforms. Most phones don't have Vulkan, Macs don't have Vulkan. If this is allowed why Gallium9 wasn't?

Comment

I fail to see why they do this besides that they want to have their OWN implementation. Anyway, let's wait (many years) and see... I only remember how slow they did progress with D3D10/11 in their own WineD3D and that was the reason why I used Wine only in very very rare exceptions (like for tax software) :-(

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                That's strange, Wine devs tend to reject everything that doesn't work on all platforms. Most phones don't have Vulkan, Macs don't have Vulkan. If this is allowed why Gallium9 wasn't?
                Phones can't run x86 binaries, Gallium9 does not work on Nvidia and macs are stupid.
                ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  Android 7 and newer has VLK , Google even has a beta going on at Android 10 that wraps GLES stuff to VLK with their Angle wrapper, MoltenVK works on IOS and MacOS ( FFXIV Mac port , ESO Mac Port , Dota 2 MacOS port , Dota Underlords MacOS and IOS ports are running with MoltenVK ) , even some emus like Yuzu started to experiment with MoltenVK , Dolphin uses it for a long time.

https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolph...091330ed29de94

https://twitter.com/yuzuemu/status/1...485885441?s=19

So in a sense VLK runs on pretty much everything , hw that doesn't support VLK are pretty much is a waste of time when you think about the end result you will get with current GL wrapping offerings anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
                    I fail to see why they do this besides that they want to have their OWN implementation. Anyway, let's wait (many years) and see... I only remember how slow they did progress with D3D10/11 in their own WineD3D and that was the reason why I used Wine only in very very rare exceptions (like for tax software) :-(
                    The creator of DXVK himself said that DXVK is not the correct path forward for Wine. DXVK was created to get great performance in games right now while WindeD3D is the long term solution for full support of DirectX for applications that need stuff that games usually do not use.

Comment

Working...
                    X