Proton 5.0-6 To Allow Out-Of-The-Box DOOM Eternal On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
    People are still complaining about source ports while Proton/Wine/DXVK has allowed for thousands of titles to be enjoyed. When will the bitching stop? ffs
    Especially in the context of id games, source port is about a lot more than just getting a game running on a platform.

Would you consider adding OpenGL and Vulkan renderers to have been a necessary part of getting DOOM I/II working on Linux?

Comment

To be honest, the iD native ports were done well enough for the time. I could generally play all their games without too much fuss.
      Remember that the Linux "gaming" ecosystem didn't really exist back then.

Comment

Wine: bringing Windows to Linux because the latter is a never-ending mess of new features, transitions, new APIs, deprecated APIs, changed APIs and broken APIs.

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
          To be honest, the iD native ports were done well enough for the time. I could generally play all their games without too much fuss.
          Remember that the Linux "gaming" ecosystem didn't really exist back then.
          I agree. It was basically Quake and Unreal. Sometimes, other games using the same engine were available, but that was it. :/

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
            Valve should get access to games like this before release, like graphics driver vendors, so they can finish the work by release. I even wonder how they can literally have the game on their servers but can't run testing. Or are they just not that interested in day-1 supporting games?
            Well maybe Valve do try that, but don't always make it and can't delay the release of the game for that reason.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              Wine: bringing Windows to Linux because the latter is a never-ending mess of new features, transitions, new APIs, deprecated APIs, changed APIs and broken APIs.
              All three are ever changing and breaking in new ways lol.

Comment

People are still complaining about source ports while Proton/Wine/DXVK has allowed for thousands of titles to be enjoyed. When will the bitching stop? ffs
                Something worthy to bitch about: Red Dead Redemption 2 not working. Poor haters missing out on it, they can't know how miserable their situation is.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  How many of the improvements of Proton have been pushed upstreams back to Wine?
                  all patches to wine are destined to upstream

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    Microsoft suing Valve at any point for distributing software that implements their API's without permission.
                    valve distributes abi, not api
                    Last edited by pal666; 04 April 2020, 10:16 AM.

Comment

native ports are better. open source is even better than native ports. wine is better than nothing

Comment

Working...
                      X