Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proton 5.0-6 To Allow Out-Of-The-Box DOOM Eternal On Linux

Phoronix: Proton 5.0-6 To Allow Out-Of-The-Box DOOM Eternal On Linux

Valve is finishing up work on Proton 5.0-6 as the next version of their Wine downstream that powers Steam Play. With Proton 5.0-6 are some promising improvements...

How many of the improvements of Proton have been pushed upstreams back to Wine?

Comment

That was fast. But the squeaky wheel gets the grease. And DOOM's squeaks sound remarkably like a demon shrieking in terror.

This game's release history was amusing. It's been a long time since Nvidia users saw a major title that was developed for AMD first. An unexpected slap on the muzzle. I don't support developers favouring either vendor, but Nvidia (and green fanboys) had that coming for a decade at least. Then there was the 'we're using DRM but here is a DRM-free executable', for a second time, showing that Bethesda is either horribly conflicted on the issue, or has very limited control over iD. But still enough control to block desktop Linux releases that have already been developed. :/

I wish iD could get clear of its publisher entirely. They do terrific work, and they don't need muppets like Bethesda and Zenimax telling them what do, or taking their profits.

Comment

That was quick. Awesome to see big name games working on Linux shortly after release. Too bad it's using proton, but that should add a few more Linux steam users.

Comment

Valve should get access to games like this before release, like graphics driver vendors, so they can finish the work by release. I even wonder how they can literally have the game on their servers but can't run testing. Or are they just not that interested in day-1 supporting games?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            How many of the improvements of Proton have been pushed upstreams back to Wine?
            Exactly 167

Comment

I miss the pre-Bethesda days of id, with native Linux support and the open sourcing of old games.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanz View Post
                I miss the pre-Bethesda days of id, with native Linux support and the open sourcing of old games.
                Those native ports are pretty bad though. They don't perform that well even with current hardware and getting audio to work is more of a challenge than beating them on highest difficulty. They work fine in wine and proton though. Source ports can be good, sometimes.

Comment

People are still complaining about source ports while Proton/Wine/DXVK has allowed for thousands of titles to be enjoyed. When will the bitching stop? ffs

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                    People are still complaining about source ports while Proton/Wine/DXVK has allowed for thousands of titles to be enjoyed. When will the bitching stop? ffs
                    To be fair, while in some ways the compatibility layer is better than before, in some ways it is worse. Now compat is open but it's built on top of reverse engineered Windows API's and implementation details which can under current US precedents result in Microsoft suing Valve at any point for distributing software that implements their API's without permission. Microsoft has not officially waived this right.

Comment

Working...
                    X