X-Plane 11.50 Flight Simulator Beta Released With Vulkan API Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mike456 View Post
    On Windows I get instead of 170 about 230 FPS in the same situation/settings. Nice.

@R41N3R you use the 64bit X-Plane?
    Yes, the Linux version executable is named "X-Plane-x86_64".

I tried to run X-Plane as well on Proton, but it won't work there at all.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
      So just now I got the Beta update on Steam. After selecting Vulkan in the graphic settings and restarting X-Plane, I just got the following error message: "Vulkan error! general error /home/USERNAME/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/libVkLayer_steam_fossilize.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32".

I've tried to run X-Plane on Mesa-git with my AMD GPU.
      That's just the vulkan loader informing you that it ignored this layer dll because it wasn't 64bit. Steam has both 32 and 64bit variants of these libs in the ~/.local/share/vulkan/implicit_layer.d/ folder. It's not a fatal error.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsin View Post

I've never been able to run 32-bit Vulkan programs on 64-bit systems with AMD GPUs even with the 32-bit compatible setup correctly - they always error-out with the wrong ELF-CLASS err.

I've just recently tried 5700 XT with Mesa+RADV, MESA+AMDVLK (doesn't work at all afaict).
        Previously I tried the AMDGPU-open from the "Radeon Software for Linux" with bundled AMDVLK, and with updated AMDVLK from github.

Tested mainly older Windows games in Wine using dxvk.
        None of those environments allow 32-bit Vulkan to function :\
        FYI the nVidia 780 GTX I upgraded from had no problems with 32-bit apps in a 64-bit install [like dxvk].

If I had known it doesn't work, maybe I would not have gone AMD.
        Find it strange nobody adressing this issue.
        I never had any issue with Vulkan and DXVK so far on RADV+ACO. It just works fine. And many of the Windows games are sadly still 32 bit, but they just run fine on Proton with DXVK. There can't be a general issue. Could it be related to your Linux distribution or your installation? Protondb is full of game reports if you are not sure if these games work or not.
        Last edited by R41N3R; 03 April 2020, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post

That's just the vulkan loader informing you that it ignored this layer dll because it wasn't 64bit. Steam has both 32 and 64bit variants of these libs in the ~/.local/share/vulkan/implicit_layer.d/ folder. It's not a fatal error.
          As I said in another comment, it is just the error message you will get and there is not much more in the log:
          0:00:00.000 D/TRN: Unable to determine default language. May need to prompt the user to select.
          0:00:00.000 I/GFX/VK: Discovered Vulkan device: AMD RADV/ACO VEGA20 (LLVM 11.0.0), Vulkan: 1.2.128, driver: 20.0.99. Score: 16810496
          0:00:00.000 E/SYS: MACIBM_alert: Vulkan error!
          0:00:00.000 E/SYS: MACIBM_alert: general
          0:00:00.000 E/SYS: MACIBM_alert: error
          0:00:00.000 E/SYS: MACIBM_alert: /home/r41n3r/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/libVkLayer_steam_fossilize.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
          0:00:00.000 E/SYS: MACIBM_alert: :0
          0:00:00.000 E/SYS: +-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          0:00:00.000 E/SYS: | Vulkan error!
          0:00:00.000 E/SYS: | general
          0:00:00.000 E/SYS: | error
          0:00:00.000 E/SYS: | /home/rainer/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/libVkLayer_steam_fossilize.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
          0:00:00.000 E/SYS: | (:0)
          0:00:00.000 E/SYS: +-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          --=={This application has crashed!}==--

Comment

Try the 64bit x-plane demo outside of steam. Steam still forces 32 bit libs?

Comment

As I said in another comment, it is just the error message you will get and there is not much more in the log:
              0:00:00.000 D/TRN: Unable to determine default language. May need to prompt the user to select.
              0:00:00.000 I/GFX/VK: Discovered Vulkan device: AMD RADV/ACO VEGA20 (LLVM 11.0.0), Vulkan: 1.2.128, driver: 20.0.99. Score: 16810496
              0:00:00.000 E/SYS: MACIBM_alert: Vulkan error!
              0:00:00.000 E/SYS: MACIBM_alert: general
              0:00:00.000 E/SYS: MACIBM_alert: error
              0:00:00.000 E/SYS: MACIBM_alert: /home/r41n3r/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/libVkLayer_steam_fossilize.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
              0:00:00.000 E/SYS: MACIBM_alert: :0
              0:00:00.000 E/SYS: | Vulkan error!
              0:00:00.000 E/SYS: | general
              0:00:00.000 E/SYS: | error
              0:00:00.000 E/SYS: | /home/rainer/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/libVkLayer_steam_fossilize.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
              0:00:00.000 E/SYS: | (:0)
              --=={This application has crashed!}==--
              Oh, start Steam, and then delete the json files in ~/.local/share/vulkan/implicit_layer.d/ (Steam recreates those when you restart it).
              Does x-plane launch then? I run the non-steam version, but it also opens these steam json files, but doesn't throw this error.
              Also, if possible, update to latest vulkan loader.

I remeber seeing these "wrong ELFCLASS" messages with vulkan for a long time, but in latest versions of the loader, they have disappeared
              (most current is 1.2.136 according to vulkaninfo).
              Seems that the loader was made smarter wrt. to 32/64bit layer library selection in the last few months.
              Last edited by mlau; 03 April 2020, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsin View Post

Actually RADV itself proclaims that it is "not standards compliant" and should be "considered experimental". (output straight from vulkaninfo)
                That is standard Mesa3D boilerplate legalese.... In pratice RADV has been Vulkan 1.0 complaint (passing Kronos's test suite) since 2017, and has advertised vulkan 1.1 compliance since 2018... it is practically the defacto Vulkan implementation at this point.

Also RADV already implements 75% of all the additional extensions some of which have become part of Vulkan 1.2 and the rest are irrelevant to the platforms mesa3d supports with hardware acceleration (win32 and mir)
                Last edited by cb88; 03 April 2020, 10:31 AM.

Comment

I never had any issue with Vulkan and DXVK so far on RADV+ACO. It just works fine. And many of the Windows games are sadly still 32 bit, but they just run fine on Proton with DXVK. There can't be a general issue. Could it be related to your Linux distribution or your installation? Protondb is full of game reports if you are not sure if these games work or not.
                  I've distro-hopped five or six times trying to see if that was the problem.
                  What distro + GPU do you have? Have you tried 32-bit games?

I should note that dxvk/proton works for 64-bit games. Not 32-bit.
                  Last edited by digitalsin; 03 April 2020, 02:22 PM.

Comment

For someone who owns the game, maybe try this as a script file with the native Linux version and see if it works?

Code:
                    #!/bin/bash
                    # xplanefix.sh

killall steam
                    rm ~/.local/share/vulkan/implicit_layer.d/*
                    sleep 5
                    steam &

while [ 1 ]; do
                        sleep 1
                        if [[ $(pidof steam) ]]; then
                            if [[ $(ls ~/.local/share/vulkan/implicit_layer.d) ]]; then
                                sleep 10
                                rm ~/.local/share/vulkan/implicit_layer.d/*
                                steam steam://rungameid/269950
                                exit
                           fi
                        fi
                    done
                    Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 03 April 2020, 07:03 PM.

Comment

For those wondering, rm ~/.local/share/vulkan/implicit_layer.d/steam*.json does fix the issue about the ELF error. I added that to the PTS test profile to always do that prior to executing xplane11 earlier to workaround it.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X