X-Plane 11.50 Flight Simulator Beta Released With Vulkan API Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Plane 11.50 Flight Simulator Beta Released With Vulkan API Support

Phoronix: X-Plane 11.50 Flight Simulator Beta Released With Vulkan API Support

For years we have been looking forward to X-Plane with a new Vulkan renderer to replace its aging OpenGL renderer. Finally today the X-Plane 11.50 Beta has been made public for this realistic flight simulator that supports Metal on Apple platforms and Vulkan everywhere else...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That is very nice. In the long run it might allow lower hardware requirements or higher detail. I saw a video from Digital Foundry about the new Doom Eternal game, how completely dropping OpenGL and embracing 100% Vulkan really enhanced the graphics, especially much more complex geometry, something flight simulators can greatly benefit from.

Comment

They still are stuck on claiming you need the proprietary drivers... which is a complete cop out.

If they have rendering issues on the open source drivers they should submit piglet tests, and get it fixed.

Telling your end users that you should install an inferior driver that is at this point really only intended for day one support and early feature release... is downright nasty.

Comment

So just now I got the Beta update on Steam. After selecting Vulkan in the graphic settings and restarting X-Plane, I just got the following error message: "Vulkan error! general error /home/USERNAME/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/libVkLayer_steam_fossilize.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32".

I've tried to run X-Plane on Mesa-git with my AMD GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
          So just now I got the Beta update on Steam. After selecting Vulkan in the graphic settings and restarting X-Plane, I just got the following error message: "Vulkan error! general error /home/USERNAME/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/libVkLayer_steam_fossilize.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32".

I've tried to run X-Plane on Mesa-git with my AMD GPU.
          What is the rest of the log... ususually it will have a line that says failed with the real error that cuased the crash.... the wrong elf class thing is probably just a warning and 64bit native drivers with 32bit libraries and programs will often still work.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
            They still are stuck on claiming you need the proprietary drivers... which is a complete cop out.
            They probably meant "proprietary NVIDIA" and, separately, "AMD drivers".

They mention what seems to be a Mesa version for AMD GPUs:
            Drivers (Windows and Linux):
            • NVidia: 440.26 or newer
            • AMD: 19.12.3 or newer
            If there's any problem with the game itself, at this stage there's no reason to believe they won't fix it to work with e.g. RADV (assuming RADV is fine, of course).

Comment

...the wrong elf class thing is probably just a warning and 64bit native drivers with 32bit libraries and programs will often still work.
              I've never been able to run 32-bit Vulkan programs on 64-bit systems with AMD GPUs even with the 32-bit compatible setup correctly - they always error-out with the wrong ELF-CLASS err.

I've just recently tried 5700 XT with Mesa+RADV, MESA+AMDVLK (doesn't work at all afaict).
              Previously I tried the AMDGPU-open from the "Radeon Software for Linux" with bundled AMDVLK, and with updated AMDVLK from github.

Tested mainly older Windows games in Wine using dxvk.
              None of those environments allow 32-bit Vulkan to function :\
              FYI the nVidia 780 GTX I upgraded from had no problems with 32-bit apps in a 64-bit install [like dxvk].

If I had known it doesn't work, maybe I would not have gone AMD.
              Find it strange nobody adressing this issue.

Comment

Telling your end users that you should install an inferior driver that is at this point really only intended for day one support and early feature release... is downright nasty.
                Actually RADV itself proclaims that it is "not standards compliant" and should be "considered experimental". (output straight from vulkaninfo)

Comment

On Windows I get instead of 170 about 230 FPS in the same situation/settings. Nice.

@R41N3R you use the 64bit X-Plane?

Comment

What is the rest of the log... ususually it will have a line that says failed with the real error that cuased the crash.... the wrong elf class thing is probably just a warning and 64bit native drivers with 32bit libraries and programs will often still work.
                    Well, it is just:
                    --=={This application has crashed!}==--

Comment

Working...
                    X