No announcement yet.

20-Way GPU Gaming Comparison With March 2020 Linux Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm willing to move away from the dumpster fire the nvidia drivers provide. Oh and guess what that fire is burning on both windows and linux now.

What amazes me is how on windows the nvidia control panel has been decoupled from that 500 something odd MB slime glop and moved into the Microsoft store. So if you removed it from cleaning out apps after an install and still want to use it guess what? You have to go there and download it cause its no longer in the driver setup binary for windows.

I am tired of seeing nvidia's price gouging and hubris. My aging GTX 1070 is the last card from the big green monster.
    Last edited by creative; 07 March 2020, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wertigon View Post
      I've said it before; I love how AMDs open-source AMDGPU drivers are now competitive with Nvidias proprietary drivers.

Only thing I feel is missing in this test would be a rundown of the 3200G and 3400G APUs - but I understand why they are not included in this test, the 3200G especially can only provide 4 threads and would be bottlenecking the RTX 2060 and everything above it.

Still, the AMD APUs are starting to really eat into the bottom end of the GPU market, why buy a budget GPU and CPU for $200 when you can buy a better-performing APU for $100?
      Nvidias drivers for me are a complete dumpster fire on both windows and linux right now with my GTX 1070 and GTX 1050 ti.

Comment

Originally posted by middy
        To the guy raging about the control panel on windows being moved out of the driver package to the windows store, that's not due to Nvidia. Nvidia didn't want to. They were forced by Microsoft due to Microsofts new driver standard and protocol, DCH. ​​​​
        Sounds like a great reason to avoid both Nvidia and Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

It does have an interact mode. So I guess it can be classified as a walking simulator.
          Kinda scraping the barrel with that one

Technically it's a floating simulator going on your thesis

Comment

Certain games like Kingdom Come: Deliverance are only playable on Linux using the Nvidia binaries. Using a Radeon VII with the open source stack it's a slideshow. I can't even try the proprietary AMD drivers because the latest build is only available for old versions of Ubuntu and I'm running 20.04. Any idea when they're going to update Catalyst?

Comment

Working...
            X