No announcement yet.

20-Way GPU Gaming Comparison With March 2020 Linux Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm willing to move away from the dumpster fire the nvidia drivers provide. Oh and guess what that fire is burning on both windows and linux now.

What amazes me is how on windows the nvidia control panel has been decoupled from that 500 something odd MB slime glop and moved into the Microsoft store. So if you removed it from cleaning out apps after an install and still want to use it guess what? You have to go there and download it cause its no longer in the driver setup binary for windows.

I am tired of seeing nvidia's price gouging and hubris. My aging GTX 1070 is the last card from the big green monster.
    Last edited by creative; 03-07-2020, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wertigon View Post
      I've said it before; I love how AMDs open-source AMDGPU drivers are now competitive with Nvidias proprietary drivers.

Only thing I feel is missing in this test would be a rundown of the 3200G and 3400G APUs - but I understand why they are not included in this test, the 3200G especially can only provide 4 threads and would be bottlenecking the RTX 2060 and everything above it.

Still, the AMD APUs are starting to really eat into the bottom end of the GPU market, why buy a budget GPU and CPU for $200 when you can buy a better-performing APU for $100?
      Nvidias drivers for me are a complete dumpster fire on both windows and linux right now with my GTX 1070 and GTX 1050 ti.

Comment

Originally posted by DoofusOfDeath View Post
        Anyone know of recent articles that compare the quality of Linux drivers for AMD and nVidia?

TL;DR: I'm getting ready to build a Linux gaming desktop, and reliability is as much a concern as performance. I've heard lots of complaints about AMD's Windows drivers, but it's not clear how their quality compares to the AMD open-source, AMD closed-source, and nVidia closed-source drivers for Linux.
        ​​​I have a Nvidia 2070 super and it's been solid. There has been issues in the past but Nvidia usually gets around to them. On a rolling release distro like Arch its more prominent but on more stable ones like Ubuntu honestly from what I've seen amd's open source and Nvidia are about equal in stability. I use xfce with Arch, a 3900x with 32gb of ram, two nvme's, and have it paired up with a 1440p 144hz gsync monitor and a secondary 4k. Everything just works. Including gsync. I've been playing battlefield v (with lutris), wc3 reforged(lutris), WoW classic(lutris), fo4(steam proton), and now halo on steam (proton) since CE was just released. Gsync works great in both opengl and vulkan.

I like the most is Nvidia's control panel. One button to enable gsync and gsync compatible (freesync/adaptive sync mode). No need to restart X or anything like that. Easy to change resolutions and refresh rate, has a overlay to tell you what graphics api is in use, current frame rate, and if gsync is on or off, GPU information like current clock rate, power mode, change the power mode, graphics override like forcing certain level of AA and such, pci-express buss and speed, video engine use, GPU usage, memory controller load, fan control and overclocking with coolbits enabled, color calibration, monitor information, etc. It might be the same old interface from 2005 but it's extremely useful. It might have quirks but it's a hell a lot better than Nvidia's control panel on windows from a functionality standpoint. I mean, you don't need third party software to change the fan speed lol.

For amd on Linux I don't think theres an official GUI for the open source drivers. I think there's third party tools though. I remember seeing some wattman clone done in QT awhile ago.

Multi monitor can be fincky at times. But multi monitor has always had quirks. Even on windows both amd and nvidia are plaqued by issues. Like elevated memory clocks and screen flickering.
        ​​​
        Another thing is Nvidia's encoder is really the best you can get. Nvenc is fantastic. MPV works great with vo=gpu and hw=nvenc. Plays 4k mkv videos with ease. Then there is cuda if you ever want to do professional stuff.

But from what I've seen, both amd and nvidia right now on Linux appear to be in good shape from stability. Most of the Nvidia "problems" I run into are just their lack of open source, the occasional quirk / issue, and those with bumblebee(optimus?) laptop setups. Quirks and issues like new xorg release and still waiting on Nvidia to release a driver for it. Most of the amd problems I see are just performance or features (like I don't think freesync is supported yet with the open source drivers) with mesa (I don't think mesa stabled opengl 4.6 yet) and the usual quirks. Actual, serious problems are more exceptions rather than the rule right now with both. I can at least say, amd is in a lot better shape on Linux than windows atm. And Nvidia is the same on both.
        ​​​​​
        ​​​​​​Overall you're always going to find people with problems. And right now a lot of people promote amd simply because of the open source drivers. And honestly there are times I've thought about switching back to my 5700xt just for the open source drivers. But at least for me and my experience, my 2070 super has been stable enough to keep me on Nvidia. And before it I had a 1080. And a 970. And a 670. Etc. I gave up my 5700xt because on windows amd's drivers were absolute garbage. Though at the time I wasn't full time Linux. I just finally made the full switch after I finished my 3900x build. I never got the time to really use my 5700xt on Linux.

edit:
        To the guy raging about the control panel on windows being moved out of the driver package to the windows store, that's not due to Nvidia. Nvidia didn't want to. They were forced by Microsoft due to Microsofts new driver standard and protocol, DCH. Amd will be following suit soon as well with removing wattman out and to the store.
        ​​​​
        Last edited by middy; 03-08-2020, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
          To the guy raging about the control panel on windows being moved out of the driver package to the windows store, that's not due to Nvidia. Nvidia didn't want to. They were forced by Microsoft due to Microsofts new driver standard and protocol, DCH. ​​​​
          Sounds like a great reason to avoid both Nvidia and Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

It does have an interact mode. So I guess it can be classified as a walking simulator.
            Kinda scraping the barrel with that one

Technically it's a floating simulator going on your thesis

Comment

Certain games like Kingdom Come: Deliverance are only playable on Linux using the Nvidia binaries. Using a Radeon VII with the open source stack it's a slideshow. I can't even try the proprietary AMD drivers because the latest build is only available for old versions of Ubuntu and I'm running 20.04. Any idea when they're going to update Catalyst?

Comment

Working...
              X