Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDL 2.0.12 Is On The Way For This Important Linux Gaming Library

Phoronix: SDL 2.0.12 Is On The Way For This Important Linux Gaming Library

SDL 2.0.12 is on the way as the next version of this library commonly used by Linux games to provide a hardware abstraction layer across platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh did they skip 2.0.11? I wonder why?

Comment

Originally posted by veeableful View Post
      Oh did they skip 2.0.11? I wonder why?
      It got versioned 2.0.11 with this commit, but never tagged or released. Did a quick glance of the commits before and after that commit and there are a lot of different controller/joypad commits which makes me guess that it was an internal development versioning and that, perhaps, they wanted to finish up on the controller work before doing a publicly announced versioned release (and likely other things too).

That's obviously a bunch of speculation.

Comment

More than 6 years ago they had "multiple mice support" on their agenda -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeMP...list=WL&t=2887

But in this release it isn't included, is it? I wonder if it will ever be...

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

It got versioned 2.0.11 with this commit, but never tagged or released. Did a quick glance of the commits before and after that commit and there are a lot of different controller/joypad commits which makes me guess that it was an internal development versioning and that, perhaps, they wanted to finish up on the controller work before doing a publicly announced versioned release (and likely other things too).

That's obviously a bunch of speculation.
          Ahh it looks like you're correct. I didn't see this post about the update on their versioning scheme on their Discourse. So it looks like they are going to version like GNOME in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by WebMac View Post
            More than 6 years ago they had "multiple mice support" on their agenda
            Last time I used multiple mice on the same PC was about 25 years ago with a PS/2 and a Serial mouse in DOS 6.2 to play The Settlers split-screen. It was pretty awesome Do any games even support this today though?

Comment

If any SDL devs are here, would you guys consider adopting Semantic Versioning? https://semver.org/

It's a beautiful thing. It allows version numbers to immedialy convey useful meaning to users/devs. IE if the middle number is bumped, I would know that new additions have been added, but the software/lib is essentially backwards compatible with all the previous versions released under the same major version (the first number). If the 3rd number is bumped I know that the upgrade should be completely non-disruptive as it should only contain bug/security/wording fixes.

Comment

Oh nice! I just noticed the stock-avatar-place-holder-forum-image-thing has been removed. Looks better. Thanks Michael

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                  Last time I used multiple mice on the same PC was about 25 years ago with a PS/2 and a Serial mouse in DOS 6.2 to play The Settlers split-screen. It was pretty awesome Do any games even support this today though?
                  I have to admit, it's probably rarely used nowadays, but there are some games here and there that support it, e.g. World of Goo supports up to 4 players with 4 mice on Linux. And Settlers 2: Return to the Roots could surely benefit from it as well.
                  Last edited by WebMac; 02 March 2020, 04:37 PM.

Comment

this pre-announemnent articles are a bit annoying, you think it's released and on a closer look it isn't. Pure clickbait for the page views :-/

Comment

Working...
                    X