Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam Play's Proton 5.0-3 Released With Support For Metro Exodus Direct3D 12 Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gukin View Post
    After a miserable experience with Denuvo DRM with Shadow of the Tomb Raider under Wine I'll gladly wait for a native Linux port; Ferel's port was a sheer delight after that mess. When I saw that Metro Exodus was a Epic Games Store only title, I boycotted it. If it's on Steam but still requires the Epic game launcher, I think I'll pass again. I've been having to fiddle around with the temperamental Uplay launcher and have to launch Steam as well under Wine just to play Far Cry 5.

If it shows up as a native port on Steam, I'll buy it. If it shows up as a running windows game in GOG I'll buy it but not before.
    The game with Proton worked well for me, but the speed was not perfect. Now the native port brings in more FPS than the same setting under Windows. Feral knows something

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Well, DXVK isn't that ideal. Comparing to Wine implementation it's still pretty new project and it's focused basically only on games while Wine isn't only about games. It also has some problems with 32 bit games (on DXVK wiki it's recommended to use wined3d for 32 bit games). Even DXVK creator and main developer said it became "fragile, unreliable and frustrating maintenance nightmare". I think there is some sense adding Vulkan to wined3d since it's developed for years. Of course, maybe everyone should focus on improving DXVK but maybe adding Vulkan backend to Wine isn't bad idea at all. Who knows, maybe it will be working better than DXVK?

DXVK was created for DX11. Support for DX10 was added later.
      Well, WineD3D isn't ideal at all either. I mean how long did it take to get D3D10 and 11 it into the current state? And it still is slow in many cases and has it's own long list of bugs. I do not trust Wine to get this done somehow faster now when switching to Vulkan instead of OpenGL. Proton is here today and DXVK works extremely well. Any project of the size of DXVK becomes fragile. Do you really believe that WineD3D doesn't suffer from the same issues? If Wine will deliver a better implementation, I would be happy to use it, but so far there are just some empty claims that they might do it better. It is time for Wine to deliver a little more than empty promises. On my systems I replaced Wine with Proton as all that Vulkan stuff works extremely :-)

Comment

Originally posted by gukin View Post
        After a miserable experience with Denuvo DRM with Shadow of the Tomb Raider under Wine I'll gladly wait for a native Linux port; Ferel's port was a sheer delight after that mess. When I saw that Metro Exodus was a Epic Games Store only title, I boycotted it. If it's on Steam but still requires the Epic game launcher, I think I'll pass again. I've been having to fiddle around with the temperamental Uplay launcher and have to launch Steam as well under Wine just to play Far Cry 5.

If it shows up as a native port on Steam, I'll buy it. If it shows up as a running windows game in GOG I'll buy it but not before.
        It's back on steam for about a week.

I needed to change my sound format down to 48kHz or the sound did not work. I'm playing it in KVM on my rx 480 and it runs with no lag whatsoever on full graphics 1080p.

Metro series is one of my favorites. Since 2013 regardless of how much I like a game I don't preorder it. I wanted to make an exception for Metro Exodus, but restrained myself. I was very disappointed when they moved it to Epic Games Store (EGS) before release date. I did not buy it on EGS, but got it within a few minutes of coming back to Steam. I would buy it again if it appears on GOG (as a donation of sorts for DRM free market).

https://www.techspot.com/news/84095-...ies-steam.html
        Last edited by Jabberwocky; 22 February 2020, 10:45 AM. Reason: Typos and rephrasing

Comment

I have to say I tested out Proton 5 with my HTC Vive VR system last week and was blown away. Yes I was only running Space Pirate Invader but the performance right out of the box was amazing! It was not perfect, but I did nothing but install it directly on a system running in a VM with GPU pass through... so probably the most edge case setup you could get and it ran amazingly well. I was actually able to play through several rounds!

I really hope wine stays focused on non-gaming and leaves proton to the gaming rather than duplicate and wast effort. It would be awesome to run MS Office 2019 on Linux!

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

Well, WineD3D isn't ideal at all either. I mean how long did it take to get D3D10 and 11 it into the current state? And it still is slow in many cases and has it's own long list of bugs. I do not trust Wine to get this done somehow faster now when switching to Vulkan instead of OpenGL. Proton is here today and DXVK works extremely well. Any project of the size of DXVK becomes fragile. Do you really believe that WineD3D doesn't suffer from the same issues? If Wine will deliver a better implementation, I would be happy to use it, but so far there are just some empty claims that they might do it better. It is time for Wine to deliver a little more than empty promises. On my systems I replaced Wine with Proton as all that Vulkan stuff works extremely :-)
            To be honest, it looks like Wine DX10 and DX11 wasn't big priority before version 2.0. Look at Witcher 3. After Wine 2.0 release with some version it went from "crashes at launch" to "game works with some render issues". Also Wine today is developing faster than in past. Why do you not believe Wine will get faster with Vulkan backend? If DXVK was able to do, why not Wine? Problem is wined3d is pretty mature and tries to cover as much hardware as possible. Still there is big room for improvement. There are (or was) unofficial patches which makes Wine work faster. If they write new backend with modern technology and hardware in mid (which Vulkan will basically force) it should perform better. Proton is just Wine with patches. As for DXVK - do you really want to include this "fragile, unreliable and frustrating maintenance nightmare" to Wine? It can perform very good or even best but it's not all. Software should also be easy as much possible to develop and maintain. If DXVK creator and main developer thinks it's not then it has to be true because who knows this project better than it's creator and main developer? Also I can't see why it should be included with Wine. DXVK isn't unofficial patch which need to be used with Wine source and compiled. It's just few dlls you download in binary form and install in Wine prefix by simple script or manually (which is also simple).

I don't understand why they are bad because they claiming they can do better than DXVK. If they want to - let them do it. After it will be finished we will check this and see for our own eyes. A lot of good software became real because their developers though they can do things better than another software. Isn't Linux good example of this? Didn't Linus Torvalds created Linux because he believed he can make better OS than Minix was?

Comment

Well it did allow me to run 4k at 60 fps in linux with dx 12, way better performance, and slightly better then in windows, in windows I cant do stable 60 fps in metro exodus.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
                I have to say I tested out Proton 5 with my HTC Vive VR system last week and was blown away. Yes I was only running Space Pirate Invader but the performance right out of the box was amazing! It was not perfect, but I did nothing but install it directly on a system running in a VM with GPU pass through... so probably the most edge case setup you could get and it ran amazingly well. I was actually able to play through several rounds!

I really hope wine stays focused on non-gaming and leaves proton to the gaming rather than duplicate and wast effort. It would be awesome to run MS Office 2019 on Linux!
                Really dumb question: How do I install this? I have Ubuntu 18.04. Do I buy the Windows version of the game via steam and then try to play it? I don't understand. Are there detailed instructions on how to do this?

Comment

Working...
                X