No announcement yet.

Blood Frontier: The Latest Open-Source FPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One additional point - even with a GPL'd engine such as Tech 3 or the coming 4, it's often a real pain in the ass to try to export into proper formats for the game. Of course there are proprietary plugins for 3ds Max, Maya etc, but using FOSS software.

Blender still can't export md3 models properly, or even natively.
    Trying to encode RoQ videos crashes mencoder.

These are from my personal experiences from last few months. Still struggling with blender, for RoQ I gave up and used Id's command line tool under wine (it's the ONLY proper tool that can do the job, and it was released in 1996 for $DEITY's sake. The video format has been fully specced for years, and it can be played back perfectly, but no working encoder...)

Comment

There have been a few very creative single player mods created for the engine by one man teams that included original models, music, cinematics, videos, and textures, so most of what has been said in this thread comes off more like an excuse than anything else.

Blender doesn't export anything natively, all of its exporting is handled by python plugins, but I agree with you that the current md3 import/export plugins are crap. However the md5 export script is a whole hell of a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        That sucks. What kind of problems are you having?

Openarena has a tweaked md3 export script which seems to work fine for my player model puttering (blender v2.48a). You can find it attached to the first post of this thread (may need to be logged on):

Comment

By natively I meant "included with Blender", now there are a few separate, different scripts to download, with no idea which is better than the other.

Comment

That sucks. What kind of problems are you having?
            Thanks, but I'd rather keep them to myself for now, as I'm only getting started in Blender too

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              By natively I meant "included with Blender", now there are a few separate, different scripts to download, with no idea which is better than the other.
              That's bullocks! The idea behind the scripting system is that external scripts are written and maintained by those knowing the formats best ( and working with them ). Scripts are only included into Blender if there is a significant number of people requesting this. So saying Blender is crap because script XYZ is not included in blender itself is rather moronic.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                That's bullocks! The idea behind the scripting system is that external scripts are written and maintained by those knowing the formats best ( and working with them ). Scripts are only included into Blender if there is a significant number of people requesting this. So saying Blender is crap because script XYZ is not included in blender itself is rather moronic.
                Reading comprehension: no one said Blender was crap. Take a deep breath and relax, no one has sullied your maiden's reputation. d-;

Comment

Very true; I did not say one bad word about blender. Only about the md3 plugin. And the biggest point was not about the separation, it was about the fact there are *several* different ones for the same thing.

Comment

Which in fact makes sense too. You can either mush all exporters in one multi-exporter ( as I did with mine ) and use a menu to select the modules or make multiple exporters in separate scripts which do a certain job. Where's the deal?

Comment

Fine, I'll spell it out.

I, a newbie, want to create a md3 model in Blender. I see it can't be done just by installing Blender, so I google. I find not one script to do that, but several. Different. Ones.

I have no idea which is best, or even which is usable. The people who obviously know which would, the blender devs, could resolve this by just picking the best one and including it.

Now I see people at forum X prefer script Y, and that the same script is said to suck vs script Z at another place.

In the end it takes a lot of enthusiasm and time to try out them all myself. Which I don't really have right now. I doubt many other users don't either.

Comment

Working...
                      X