Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RISC OS Seeing SDL2 Support Brought Up

Phoronix: RISC OS Seeing SDL2 Support Brought Up

For those tantilized by the prospects of gaming on RISC OS, SDL2 has been seeing early mainline work on supporting this long-standing operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Two years later: SDL2 removes RISC OS support ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    The question is why they're wasting time on useless things, but not the important ones, like polishing Wayland support.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
      Two years later: SDL2 removes RISC OS support ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
      The question is why they're wasting time on useless things, but not the important ones, like polishing Wayland support.
      The patches come from a RISC OS dev. I am sure he does not see them as wasting time on useless things.

Comment

It is actually amazing how fast an RPI feels when running RISC OS.
        Last edited by Raka555; 15 February 2020, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: RISC OS Seeing SDL2 Support Brought Up

For those tantilized by the prospects of gaming on RISC OS, SDL2 has been seeing early mainline work on supporting this long-standing operating system...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-SDL2-Mainline
          It's tantalized...

Comment

Not everyone is on the World Dominion tour.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
              It is actually amazing how fast an RPI feels when running RISC OS.
              I have not tested RISC OS yet. Could you explain about which areas feels fast? I can't find any useful benchmarks compared to Linux/Raspbian.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

I have not tested RISC OS yet. Could you explain about which areas feels fast? I can't find any useful benchmarks compared to Linux/Raspbian.
                Ultimately everything runs ARM machine code, so benchmarks might turn out to be the same when compiled with the same compiler.

I have not done any benchmarking, BUT you should install it on an RPI and see how fast the windows snaps open and close and applications launch in an instant.
                It feels like a super computer compared to the latest Linux desktop. The UI on a RPI 3B+ feels much more responsive than my latest 3700x/vega64 system, let alone compared to linux desktop on the same RPI.

I don't know what makes the linux desktop so sluggish. I suspect it is the sheer amount of bloat it has to lump around compared to RISC OS.

I also don't know if RISC-OS is using graphics acceleration, but the 2D experience is superb, given the hardware.
                Maybe its because they dropped dedicated 2D hardware acceleration on linux and emulates it using 3D hardware...
                Last edited by Raka555; 17 February 2020, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

Ultimately everything runs ARM machine code, so benchmarks might turn out to be the same when compiled with the same compiler.

I have not done any benchmarking, BUT you should install it on an RPI and see how fast the windows snaps open and close and applications launch in an instant.
                  It feels like a super computer compared to the latest Linux desktop. The UI on a RPI 3B+ feels much more responsive than my latest 3700x/vega64 system, let alone compared to linux desktop on the same RPI.

I don't know what makes the linux desktop so sluggish. I suspect it is the sheer amount of bloat it has to lump around compared to RISC OS.

I also don't know if RISC-OS is using graphics acceleration, but the 2D experience is superb, given the hardware.
                  Maybe its because they dropped dedicated 2D hardware acceleration on linux and emulates it using 3D hardware...
                  This sounds very interesting! I will definitely try it out for myself.

Comment

Why are they wasting time on a crappy OS no one runs like Linux? They should put their efforts toward the two major OS's everyone runs.

Comment

Working...
                    X