Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proton 5.0-1 Released As Valve's Basis For Steam Play Now On Wine 5.0, Latest DXVK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
    I need Proton to run Destiny 2 so I can move my R9 390 back from my Windows 10 VM to my main system. It's a bummer having to move it for one game
    I wrote a How-To guide on getting the new Nvidia GeForce Now service working on Linux computers. It has a free tier and uses games that you already own. You need a 2nd wired or wireless mouse for it to work properly.

I've been playing some Fortnite and Destiny 2 on Linux with it. Those games don't work in Wine or Proton due to their infamous anti-cheat systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

I wrote a How-To guide on getting the new Nvidia GeForce Now service working on Linux computers. It has a free tier and uses games that you already own. You need a 2nd wired or wireless mouse for it to work properly.

I've been playing some Fortnite and Destiny 2 on Linux with it. Those games don't work in Wine or Proton due to their infamous anti-cheat systems.

Oh cool, I never heard of that. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Comment

WOW. Things are getting better and better. Is Valve preparing for a Steam console? Seriously. Yes there are problem still, but even if it launched today it would have been quite a proposition. It only needs some performance and compatibility improvements and it is good to go. All the gaming work, ACO, Fsync, Proton, seems to me a Steam console possibility is not far fetched. And it would make a killing, seeing how most of the world already has steam libraries....

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
          Is Proton only used with Steam or can it be used as an alternative to Wine?
          To me the best way of utilising Proton instead of Wine is using Lutris. Steps:
          1) add a new game
          2) in runners select wine
          3) in wine prefix choose a folder that will serve as a home directory for this game
          4) choose an executable, in this case would be a program installer
          5) set runner version to proton
          6) launch the game and install it
          7) go back to settings and change the executable to the game executable
          This is the best experience I ever had with running Windows games on Linux. You can easily tune settings separately for each game, you also have easy shortcuts for editing registry and launching winetricks.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

Tomb Raider 1 is a MS-DOS game.
            Curiosity: Tomb Raider has a win32 patched EXE called ATIRAGE that allows you to run it on modern Windows and, I guess, Linux with Wine.
            That patch uses that old, long forgotten graphical API called Rage, so to execute it you have to use an additional Rage->OpenGL wrapper (GLRage).

When I played it in Windows, I got a much better experience running it natively 16:9 1080p with ATIRAGE than with Dosbox and Glidos (also HD, but without the widescreen).

There is also a multiplatform reimplementation of Tomb Raider 1 engine named Open Lara, with several improvements (I hadn't tested it mutch, but it looks nice at 60fps, and it has even a browser version). It is available on Retroarch.
            Last edited by Rccero; 08 February 2020, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JacekJagosz View Post

To me the best way of utilising Proton instead of Wine is using Lutris. Steps:
              1) add a new game
              2) in runners select wine
              3) in wine prefix choose a folder that will serve as a home directory for this game
              4) choose an executable, in this case would be a program installer
              5) set runner version to proton
              6) launch the game and install it
              7) go back to settings and change the executable to the game executable
              This is the best experience I ever had with running Windows games on Linux. You can easily tune settings separately for each game, you also have easy shortcuts for editing registry and launching winetricks.
              ... or you could just install Proton instead of Wine too if you do not need different prefixes. At least on Arch Linux there is a PKGBUILD :-)

Comment

Does improvements in Proton gets pushed back upstream to Wine?
                Does Proton have any roadmap?
                Does Proton have any Windows compatibility test suite?

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

... or you could just install Proton instead of Wine too if you do not need different prefixes. At least on Arch Linux there is a PKGBUILD :-)
                  Sure but this way I don't need to update Proton, because Steam does that for me. And to me Lutris is the easiest way to create and manage wine prefixes, so even if I had a system-wide proton I'd still use it.
                  But to each their own, your idea is also a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Does improvements in Proton gets pushed back upstream to Wine?
                    Proton is sort of like wine-staging in that Valve is paying Codeweavers to work on updates to the Wine portions of Proton but doesn't always want to wait for them to get merged.

Does Proton have any roadmap?
                    None that I can find beyond the "Next Release" milestone in the issue tracker's milestones tab.

Does Proton have any Windows compatibility test suite?
                    Valve hired Codeweavers to update the Wine portions of Proton and Codeweavers employs various Wine project leads, so they'd be relying on Wine's test suite.

You can drill down by clicking a commit, then clicking a non-header cell, then clicking a non-header cell again.

The second-last drill-down lands you at a view like this.

(IIUC, orange means "Test raised a TODO flag when run", which generally means "implementation isn't yet 100% complete but omissions may have no visible effect at runtime or may only result in harmless visual glitching or may even just not yet have had its test audited for completeness" and that's why there's so much of it... something you'll be familiar with if you've ever run a game in Wine with debug output enabled, watched it perform apparently perfectly, and then looked at the console and seen a flood of "This is a stub" and "TODO: Implement this" notes.)
                    Last edited by ssokolow; 08 February 2020, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
                      Is Proton only used with Steam or can it be used as an alternative to Wine?
                      Allot tools like Lutris will allow you to use Proton in custom containers just fine. (detection of proton ver depends on using it at least once via within steam on a game)

Comment

Working...
                      X