Steam Kicks Off 2020 With Linux Gaming At The Highest Point In A While

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Kicks Off 2020 With Linux Gaming At The Highest Point In A While

Phoronix: Steam Kicks Off 2020 With Linux Gaming At The Highest Point In A While

Valve has just reported their January 2020 numbers from the controversial Steam Survey...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I know phoronix's philosophy is "no shit is too minor", but I can't help but give a pitying chortle every time Steam market share is brought up. God sakes, it's not even 1% yet, it's hardly even worth reporting on.
    The reality is that the Linux desktop still is just not up to spec with what the average consumer wants (debate or deny this all you want, but you can't argue against it given the market share without invoking a ridiculous conspiracy theory, which unfortunately this forum is infamous for doing), even if Proton helps games run there. Same for macOS. Mac is for video editing, Linux is for sysadmins, Windows is for everything else including those two categories. And those numbers will continue to stay the way they are until one of them starts to get competitive. Red Hat is helping out a ton, honestly Red Hat is going to have a lot more to do with getting Steam's market share up than Valve ever will, even with Proton, and especially not accounting for their failed Steam Machines (which literally just ran a shitty reskinned Debian, that's Canonical levels of lazy and end-user indifference and why I consider Valve a cautionary tale of how not to do Linux for the desktop instead of being heroes of the Linux desktop movement as some hoped they would be)

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
      Red Hat is helping out a ton, honestly Red Hat is going to have a lot more to do with getting Steam's market share up than Valve ever will, even with Proton
      Found the Red Hat employee.

Comment

honestly Red Hat is going to have a lot more to do with getting Steam's market share up than Valve ever will, even with Proton, and especially not accounting for their failed Steam Machines (which literally just ran a shitty reskinned Debian, that's Canonical levels of lazy and end-user indifference and why I consider Valve a cautionary tale of how not to do Linux for the desktop instead of being heroes of the Linux desktop movement as some hoped they would be)
        Valve may be incompetent with products of their own making, but they do know how to pour resources into improving things like Linux graphics drivers and Wine. From what I remember, a similar benefit was seen to MacOS graphics support when Steam came to MacOS.

It's hard for them to screw up "Hey, CodeWeavers. Here's some money. Make Wine better for us."

Comment

Lets hope this is not statistical error, but some angry Windows 7 users have gone linux

Comment

I know phoronix's philosophy is "no shit is too minor", but I can't help but give a pitying chortle every time Steam market share is brought up. God sakes, it's not even 1% yet, it's hardly even worth reporting on.
            The reality is that the Linux desktop still is just not up to spec with what the average consumer wants (debate or deny this all you want, but you can't argue against it given the market share without invoking a ridiculous conspiracy theory...
            1. Gaming != Desktop
            2. Linux is not only for Sysadmins but also for Developers not all of them but many.

3. you assume that people conciously choose a Operating System, which is not the case for most it's their Computer comes with a OS that is preinstalled and they use it. The Alternative not just have to be "good enough" it must be MUCH better than the preinstalled one to even get a few % of them off not even get the majority.

The Point is that Windows is "good enough" for most people therefor Linux has no chance to get new users. So no you don't need a conspiracy theory to explain why Linux is not more popular despite it being "good enough". Except you would talk only about gaming, maybe gamer would be more willing to install a OS than other people there you could say it's not good enough, but again most computer desktop users don't game.

Comment

I am really happy with my arch gaming desktop.
              And as long as valve continues to improve Proton I don't care about this numbers.

Comment

I spent a few futile hours yesterday trying to install Steam on my desktop machine. The problem seems to be with the Nvidia drivers I'm using (Quadro K2000). I was able to get Steam running on my laptop with no problems. Anyway, I've been using Linux since kernel 1.0 and could not get Steam to work. A bit of Googling seems to indicate I'm far from the only one with this problem (conflicting i386 libraries). Hoping the situation will improve.

Comment

Meanwhile, game developers keep dropping linux support. Rocket League it to drop linux support in March

Comment

Originally posted by khnazile View Post
                    Meanwhile, game developers keep dropping linux support. Rocket League it to drop linux support in March
                    I'm not worrying about this if they can run with Proton (or better, with official support of Proton).
                    Their Linux builds usually are worse than Windows binary+Proton.

Comment

Working...
                    X