Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Godot 3.2 Open-Source Game Engine Released With Better Documentation, New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godot 3.2 Open-Source Game Engine Released With Better Documentation, New Features

Phoronix: Godot 3.2 Open-Source Game Engine Released With Better Documentation, New Features

While developers are hard at work on Godot 4.0 with Vulkan support, that release won't be ready until mid-2020 so as a result Godot 3.2 is out today as their latest stable release and serving as a "long-term support" release until transitioning to Godot 4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have the best wishes for the Godot project and I hope that it doesn't become the next Unity. By that I mean that I'm tired of starting a game, seeing the word "Unity", and thinking to myself "I hope this game is complete and relatively bug free". So many games done with Unity just feel like they're in perpetual beta. It's to the point that if I see Unity and if I don't recognize the publisher or any past games, I'll skip that game since I have plenty in the backlog.

Basically, I hope Godot isn't used for shovelware crap games like Unity is used for.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      I have the best wishes for the Godot project and I hope that it doesn't become the next Unity. By that I mean that I'm tired of starting a game, seeing the word "Unity", and thinking to myself "I hope this game is complete and relatively bug free". So many games done with Unity just feel like they're in perpetual beta. It's to the point that if I see Unity and if I don't recognize the publisher or any past games, I'll skip that game since I have plenty in the backlog.

Basically, I hope Godot isn't used for shovelware crap games like Unity is used for.
      Any successful and easy to get into game engine will have that problem. Most bugs are probably not due to the engine itself, rather due to people thinking they know how to use Unity/Whatever without proper programming experience. If this happens to Godot with will be due to its success.

Comment

Originally posted by fakenmc View Post

Any successful and easy to get into game engine will have that problem. Most bugs are probably not due to the engine itself, rather due to people thinking they know how to use Unity/Whatever without proper programming experience. If this happens to Godot with will be due to its success.
        I know. But still, they crash my PS4 more than anything...well, Unity games and HBO Now are kind of equal on that...

I just don't want a what seems to be a decent open source tool that is starting to pick up momentum to look bad because of assholes pumping out shovelware on Steam or by making PS games that crash at least once a play through.

Comment

I just learned that Godot is making $10,000 from Patreon a month. I don't think I've seen any FOSS game-related project ever get funded this well. They definitely deserve it though, the engine has gone a long way over the last few years. It's still a very paltry sum compared to the millions-per-year that proprietary engine developers can afford, but it's something.

Comment

Originally posted by Blahblah View Post
            I just learned that Godot is making $10,000 from Patreon a month. I don't think I've seen any FOSS game-related project ever get funded this well. They definitely deserve it though, the engine has gone a long way over the last few years. It's still a very paltry sum compared to the millions-per-year that proprietary engine developers can afford, but it's something.
            It's a decent chunk of change, but it doesn't really go far. Godot administers it's funds through the FSF, which has a rule that any full-time employees are to cost ~$4000 USD (which is a good policy IMO, people should be on a living wage, and the cost of an employee is usually around a third higher than their salary). So they've only got two full timers with possible third one coming.

It's a far cry from the amount of people working on UE or Unity. But they're doing amazing things with the resources they've got. They really make their income stretch far which shows what efficiencies can be gained from open source.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
              Godot administers it's funds through the FSF
              Godot's funds are managed by the Software Freedom Conservancy, not the FSF.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

Godot's funds are managed by the Software Freedom Conservancy, not the FSF.
                I just wanted to say that your Awesome Godot page is pretty nice. I stumbled across it yesterday and went "Well that name looks familiar" and thought that I'd both say thanks for all that great information and add something Godot related to a Godot thread.

Comment

Michael

The Godot team was awarded a $250K Epic MegaGrant.

Since most news around Epic and Open Source is kind of shitty, figured you could report on some good news.

Comment

Working...
                  X