• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Yes, most game devs want full access to the source code. [/s]
    Devs in general usually do, because it's way easier to debug problems when you can step through all the code rather than just having a 3rd party blackbox. A lot of times when you integrate with 3rd party codebases, the toughest part is figuring out what expectations that code has for how to use it, and while excellent documentation is one way to handle that just being able to step through the source code and see directly what's going on is pretty powerful.

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
    Does Unigine support Vulkan yet?
    No not yet, apparently they are working on it.

Honestly if they don't change their policies, then their destined to only exist for the purpose of making benchmarks.

Leave a comment:

• Xaero_Vincent
    replied
    Does Unigine support Vulkan yet?

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

Unreal Engine was the first engine to offer extensive tools and documentation for development and covers pretty much all use cases. And now it's free to use and complete with source code.

Unigine last time I checked still doesn't offer full access to source code.
    Yes, most game devs want full access to the source code. [/s]

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Unigine: The Russian engine used by a few benchmarks and military/industrial/professional space.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by Dr. Righteous View Post
    I've always been impressed with Unigine. I won't why we see such limited use by game devs.
    Unreal Engine was the first engine to offer extensive tools and documentation for development and covers pretty much all use cases. And now it's free to use and complete with source code.

Unigine last time I checked still doesn't offer full access to source code.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Meanwhile it's almost year 2020 and
    • Most games lack any sort of grass
    • Most games lack any sort of collision detection (this can be seen even in this demo clip - after jumping and hitting the ground the rover wheels go below the terrain level)
    • Animation is just horrible
    • Objects feel like they massless
    • AI is a terrible joke (e.g. in most 3D shooters NPCs can see you through objects - you can't really hide from them, however if you crouch they do not see if there's a direct line of sight between you and an NPC)
    • Water and streams are usually horrible (some hundred-line shaders look better than what most current games offer)
    • Objects destruction? Either pregenerated or missing altogether.
    And lots lots more.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Righteous
    replied
    I've always been impressed with Unigine. I Wonder why we see such limited use by game devs.
    Last edited by Dr. Righteous; 26 December 2019, 12:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Unigine 2.10 Released With New Terrain System, Other Graphics Improvements

Phoronix: Unigine 2.10 Released With New Terrain System, Other Graphics Improvements

Unigine developers have delivered a nice Christmas present in delivering Unigine 2.10 as the latest version of their 3D engine used by few games but an increasing number of simulation systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X