No announcement yet.

DXVK 1.5 Released With The Newly-Added Direct3D 9 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Citizen may cease to be Philip's headache in the new year, since they seem to be finally moving (publicly) on their Vulkan renderer (and they don't plan to even offer a DX 11 option once they switch).

Comment

Star Citizen's launcher was a headache to use under Linux last time I tried, haven't bothered to look at the v3.8 yet. I might just wait for them to finish the vulkan render system.

Comment

Good thing Elite: Dangerous pretty much runs perfectly! Although I hear there is currently a corruption bug with mesa ACO.

Comment

The new color scheme on the HUD is FABULOUS! Actually it's a lot more readable and much easier to focus on what bit of information one wants.

Great job guys, I saw one "Warning" during the compile which was a bit of a shock, still it was just a warning and observing the call, it's not going to cause any trouble. Superb work and kudos to all involved.

I set up all my wine prefixes with this DXVK, but I'll still keep an eye out for frogs.

Comment

Originally posted by mzs.112000 View Post

Why would they add DX8 support? Nothing uses DX8 anymore, there are some old Shockwave games I used to play that used DX7 but those already run perfectly on Wine, so there's no real room for improvement considering it's been 10 years at least, since anything major was released with DX8 support.

What I really want to see though is DX12 support in DXVK, and UWP support in Wine. Since those are things that are actively being targeted by developers of modern programs in 2019/2020....
            Pretty much the same reason why they added DX10 support, even though there are like 2 DX10 games in the entire world. 8 could be achieved on top of the 9 code base being a very similar thing.

As for UWP, it's a framework like .NET, it needs something like Mono. It's not as simple as Wine adding support. It may use .exe extension and stuff, but there's no x86 code in there. You can't just execute it and redirect DLL calls.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
              Star Citizen's launcher was a headache to use under Linux last time I tried, haven't bothered to look at the v3.8 yet. I might just wait for them to finish the vulkan render system.
              3.7 is basically painless, works almost out of the box with vanilla or staging wine >4.16 (only 4.20 had a regression). Only thing you need to do is copy over a dll (d3dcompiler47.dll) from launcher-dir to game-dir ^^
              3.8 PTU crashes on startup though and we haven't been able to find out why yet :/

Comment

Why would they add DX8 support? Nothing uses DX8 anymore, there are some old Shockwave games I used to play that used DX7 but those already run perfectly on Wine, so there's no real room for improvement considering it's been 10 years at least, since anything major was released with DX8 support.

What I really want to see though is DX12 support in DXVK, and UWP support in Wine. Since those are things that are actively being targeted by developers of modern programs in 2019/2020....
                The Simpsons: Hit and Run uses d3d8 and runs pretty badly on wine3d as an example of something that would benefit from a faster d3d8 implementation.

Comment

You can use dgVoodoo 2 and DXVK and the game should run fine. See this:

https://software.kaminata.net/linux-...nux-dxvk-wine/

Comment

Originally posted by gutigone View Post
                    About all that ruckus of DXVK going into maintenance mode, turns out people (including Phoronix) blew it up a bit bigger than it was supposed to go. GoL got a statement, plus the DXVK creator themselves commented. Glad to see it cleared up.
                    If they're afraid to make code changes due to fear of breaking things, then the code is already broken IMO.

If software is well maintained, and good software development practices are followed, there is no fear of introducing big problems.

Comment

Anyone using UWP is most likely using the Microsoft Store for distribution, and is thus heavily protected by DRM. If any open source apps are using UWP, they're most likely available for Linux as well.

​​​​

Comment

Working...
                      X