Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feral's Lead Vulkan Developer Leaves The Company For Sony

Phoronix: Feral's Lead Vulkan Developer Leaves The Company For Sony

Last year one of Feral's top Linux developers left the company and now another top developer has sadly left the game porting firm...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sad news indeed but unfortunately it makes sense. I worry for the viability of Feral porting natively to Linux now that Proton is a thing. I hope it still makes sense financially because they've come a long way and done great things.

Comment

Sounds like a normal job fluctuation, sad he is leaving for one of those largely non-opensource companies :-(
      Would me nice hearing, who's replacing him at Feral...

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        Sad news indeed but unfortunately it makes sense. I worry for the viability of Feral porting natively to Linux now that Proton is a thing. I hope it still makes sense financially because they've come a long way and done great things.
        I can’t imagine working for Feral would be extremely rewarding in the pocketbook. There simply isn’t enough Linux gaming happening to pay the developers a large wage. If anything Linux gaming seems to be dying rather than growing.

this is why I justify Linux via uses other than gaming for myself. Almost everything else is a better avenue for gaming,Windows, the consoles even a Mac are better gaming platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by RBilettess View Post
          Sounds like a normal job fluctuation, sad he is leaving for one of those largely non-opensource companies :-(
          Would me nice hearing, who's replacing him at Feral...
          Well if he isn’t replaced that tells us something.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            ... even a Mac are better gaming platforms.
            And how many 32 bit OpenGL games are ported to 64 bit and Metal?

Comment

Originally posted by puleglot View Post
              one or two, Mac is the worst gaming plataform out there

Comment

Feral will survive as they are also making Android, iOS, and Switch ports now too. 64-bit Metal Mac ports still make somewhat sense as Proton and DXVK arent supported on that platform. Feral's new Linux Vulkan ports beat DXVK in performance, so there is that at least. I buy their ports to support them from time to time.

Mac gaming is about to come far crappier when they finally drop OpenGL support. It was already a big setback when they dropped 32-bit support and will be an even larger back catalog of games will simply stop working when GL is dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

I can’t imagine working for Feral would be extremely rewarding in the pocketbook. There simply isn’t enough Linux gaming happening to pay the developers a large wage. If anything Linux gaming seems to be dying rather than growing.

this is why I justify Linux via uses other than gaming for myself. Almost everything else is a better avenue for gaming,Windows, the consoles even a Mac are better gaming platforms.
                  Feral ports games to a wide variety of systems, including video consoles. They port games to a lot more platforms than just Linux.

Vulkan is a multiplatform API, even Android uses it.

You have no idea about what the Feral business are, really. You should be more informed before something such stupid things, please.

Comment

Originally posted by puleglot View Post
                    And how many recent/new games are using 32bit/OpenGL?...

As for Feral, off the top of my head so far they've converted Arkham City, Tomb Raider, Railroads, Medieval 2, and a few of the Total War games to 64bit/Metal form 32bit/OpenGL.
                    Last edited by Boland; 13 December 2019, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X