Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Survey For November Points To Flat Linux Percentage

Phoronix: Steam Survey For November Points To Flat Linux Percentage

With the start of a new month always comes the excitement of seeing what Valve's Steam Survey is pointing at for gaming trends as to the percentage of Linux gamers...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-November-2019

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by betam4x View Post
    Since running Steam on Linux, I've NEVER gotten the survey to pop up. Happened all the time on Windows.
    Try harder the algorithm is not convinced that you are a REAL Linux user

Leave a comment:

• enigmaxg2
    replied
    Better gaming support is only one of the things needed to get this going:

Software compatibility needs to get a quality bump

Driver compatibility (especially WiFi) needs to get a quality bump

Accesibility and intuitivity needs to get a quality bump

User interface (UI) and user experiencie (UX) needs to get a quality jump (KDE is heading there)

Leave a comment:

• royce
    replied
    I am amazed Valve spend any money at all in linux, to be honest. Thankful they do though.

Leave a comment:

• atomsymbol
    replied
    Originally posted by gojul View Post
    I'm quite surprised of the RX480 GPU. Mesa drivers are notoriously unsuited for gaming, even though things are improving.
    Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post

Vulkan updates of some games (such as Shadow of Mordor and Mad Max) generally perform better than the original OpenGL versions. RX 480/580 (+ACO) can achieve 100 FPS in these games (1080p, Very High quality setting), making them playable at 1440p.

Mesa requires a multi-core CPU with good single-threaded performance (newer Intel, or Ryzen 3600+) to keep the GPU occupied.
    ... it seems (rumours) that AMD is going to release RX 5600 in a few months, which (if the rumours about its specifications are true) is going to be the upgrade path for many current RX 470/480/570/580/590 users.

On the other hand, if RX 5600 will have less than 1700-1800 shader units then it isn't going to be an upgrade path for these users and they will postpone the upgrades until AMD introduces RDNA 2.0 GPUs (which, it seems, will become mainstream in year 2021+, at which time the introduction of Intel's discrete GPUs will slightly change AMD's/Nvidia's pattern of behaviour).

RX 5500's performance is going to be more-or-less equivalent to RX 480/580 - it isn't an upgrade in terms of performance.

Leave a comment:

• Almindor
    replied
    I'm quite surprised of the RX480 GPU. Mesa drivers are notoriously unsuited for gaming, even though things are improving.
    Not sure what you're talking about. This was true maybe 1+ year ago but now it's golden. I wouldn't touch Nvidia on linux by a 20 foot pole anymore. I've been running RX580 with great success, basically no driver issues and the performance is better with each mesa release. I do run Arch tho, so I guess people stuck at 6 month cycles might feel different.

Leave a comment:

• betam4x
    replied
    Since running Steam on Linux, I've NEVER gotten the survey to pop up. Happened all the time on Windows.

Leave a comment:

• Grim85
    replied
    That's not even good trolling. Try harder next time

Leave a comment:

• pmorph
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    There's hardly a need to upgrade the CPU when you increase your resolution. More often than not the GPU becomes a bottleneck.
    Yeah, maybe not necessary strictly speaking. But I'd probably still end up playing some of the heavier titles @1080p, so it would be nice to get everything out of the GPU there as well. 4K is not happening anytime soon here either, not really willing invest so much money in (after all) generic PC hardware.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by pmorph View Post
    Upgrading from 1080p isn't fun... Ok, if it was just the display, but if you intend to do gaming it often means also the gpu, cpu, psu. Probably the motherboard goes as well. My plan was to stay with 1080p until VR goes big, then do a complete rebuild. Seems I'm not in any kind of hurry...
    There's hardly a need to upgrade the CPU when you increase your resolution. More often than not the GPU becomes a bottleneck.
    If you're ok with an incremental upgrade, 1440p is a decently pleasant experience. You're still going to need to upgrade your GPU but you don't need anything crazy powerful and expensive to handle that resolution.
    Otherwise, I'm in a similar situation. I prefer big displays (40"+) so I'd like to go 4K, but, I don't really want to until there are reasonably priced GPUs capable of playing games at such a resolution. I accept that is going to be a long wait lol.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X