Steam Survey For November Points To Flat Linux Percentage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gojul View Post
    I'm quite surprised of the RX480 GPU. Mesa drivers are notoriously unsuited for gaming, even though things are improving.
    Unsuited? Why? They work pretty well with RX480/580/590

Comment

<insert customary comment about how the statistics don't mean anything or are misleading>

Originally posted by willmore View Post
      Do you have to opt into these or are a random selection of people get picked? I remember in the past being asked to participate, but I haven't had that happen in a long time.
      I still don't know how true this is, but I've heard using the beta version of Steam is an automatic opt-out. I used to get the survey every other month several years ago. Now, I've only seen it twice in the past 2 or 3 years, and I'm not using the beta.
      You can also manually opt-out when prompted.

I'm sure Linux's popularity will spike as soon as PUBG works (if it will ever work). I figure by the time it does, the game won't be so popular anymore. Frankly, I'm surprised it is still so popular.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I still don't know how true this is, but I've heard using the beta version of Steam is an automatic opt-out. I used to get the survey every other month several years ago. Now, I've only seen it twice in the past 2 or 3 years, and I'm not using the beta.
        You can also manually opt-out when prompted.
        I would have to agree that this is likely what it is as I almost always sign up for being a Steam beta tester. It's probably back before I started doing that and at new installs where I get an unsolicited survey request. Maybe I need to manually do the surveys or just drop out of the Steam client beta. That's a heck of a way to treat your beta testers--which I would have to think many of the Linux users are.

Comment

and around half the users still running at 1080p.
          I was planning to upgrade my main screen to something bigger then 1680x1050, but removing it corrected GPU hangs I used to get.

So I actually downgraded my current setup to my ridiculously small 1336x768 screen I had as a secondary screen.

Comment

Originally posted by gojul View Post
            I'm quite surprised of the RX480 GPU. Mesa drivers are notoriously unsuited for gaming, even though things are improving.
            I disagree, mesa 20 with aco is incredibly good suited for gaming on a Vega .
            Here is my channel as proof:
            Linux gaming and hobby game development vlog

Comment

I would have to agree that this is likely what it is as I almost always sign up for being a Steam beta tester.
              I'm not a beta tester, yet the last time I got a survey was a few years ago. So I don't think the beta has anything to do with it.

cc schmidtbag

Comment

I would have to agree that this is likely what it is as I almost always sign up for being a Steam beta tester. It's probably back before I started doing that and at new installs where I get an unsolicited survey request. Maybe I need to manually do the surveys or just drop out of the Steam client beta. That's a heck of a way to treat your beta testers--which I would have to think many of the Linux users are.
                I don't think you can manually do the surveys, you can only manually opt-out of them (when prompted). To my understanding, there are only a few tens of thousand surveys sent randomly, and, are only sent when you first sign in. So everyone who leaves their PC on for days or weeks at a time is less likely to get the survey. I could be wrong about that, but I recall that every time I got the survey, it was within a few minutes of me signing in. I got the survey at least a dozen times.

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                I'm not a beta tester, yet the last time I got a survey was a few years ago. So I don't think the beta has anything to do with it.
                I'm not a beta tester either and the rate at which I've been getting surveys has changed dramatically in the past 2 or 3 years. So, even if being a beta tester doesn't affect whether or not you get the survey, there's still clearly something else preventing them from getting through.
                Last edited by schmidtbag; 02 December 2019, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                  I was planning to upgrade my main screen to something bigger then 1680x1050, but removing it corrected GPU hangs I used to get.

So I actually downgraded my current setup to my ridiculously small 1336x768 screen I had as a secondary screen.
                  Upgrading from 1080p isn't fun... Ok, if it was just the display, but if you intend to do gaming it often means also the gpu, cpu, psu. Probably the motherboard goes as well. My plan was to stay with 1080p until VR goes big, then do a complete rebuild. Seems I'm not in any kind of hurry...

Comment

Originally posted by pmorph View Post
                    Upgrading from 1080p isn't fun... Ok, if it was just the display, but if you intend to do gaming it often means also the gpu, cpu, psu. Probably the motherboard goes as well. My plan was to stay with 1080p until VR goes big, then do a complete rebuild. Seems I'm not in any kind of hurry...
                    There's hardly a need to upgrade the CPU when you increase your resolution. More often than not the GPU becomes a bottleneck.
                    If you're ok with an incremental upgrade, 1440p is a decently pleasant experience. You're still going to need to upgrade your GPU but you don't need anything crazy powerful and expensive to handle that resolution.
                    Otherwise, I'm in a similar situation. I prefer big displays (40"+) so I'd like to go 4K, but, I don't really want to until there are reasonably priced GPUs capable of playing games at such a resolution. I accept that is going to be a long wait lol.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      There's hardly a need to upgrade the CPU when you increase your resolution. More often than not the GPU becomes a bottleneck.
                      Yeah, maybe not necessary strictly speaking. But I'd probably still end up playing some of the heavier titles @1080p, so it would be nice to get everything out of the GPU there as well. 4K is not happening anytime soon here either, not really willing invest so much money in (after all) generic PC hardware.

Comment

Working...
                      X