Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google's Stadia Controller Support Added To SDL2

Phoronix: Google's Stadia Controller Support Added To SDL2

The SDL2 library has been seeing a number of additions in recent days to its game controller database by Valve's Sam Lantinga. The latest game controller to be added is for Google's now-shipping Stadia Controller...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm. I wonder what the D-Pad is like if they're giving it place of prominence over the left analog stick. That's the one thing my Xbox 360 pads could do better and, currently, I swap in a vintage SNES controller with a USB adapter when I want a D-Pad.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Hori Fighting Cmmander,

Comment

The Stadia Controller seems to be a nice one overall, I didn't see anyone having strong opinions against it that is not preference related.

The only problem is maintenance. They are very difficult to open without damaging the plastic, because of humongous large and strong internal plastic clips. That will make it terrible to replace parts down the road. however, once opened it is relatively easy to take apart board pieces, even the vibration motors are plugged in, not soldered like on the Xbox One Controller, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
          Hmm. I wonder what the D-Pad is like
          I own it. D-pad is OK, but a bit worse than the Xbox's, unfortunately. And it's not as if the Xbox's d-pad is so great... However, the Stadia's analog sticks are excellent, quite precise though with a looser torque.

All in all Google managed to not screw up Stadia's controller. It has a good, premium feel in one's hands. The grip is quite unique, unlike both Xbox and PlayStation, and I imagine some folk will really like it. For my hands, Xbox feels best.

(The best d-pad ever is, in my opinion, on the PS1 controller. You can get one for cheap off ebay and use it for proper d-pad. After using it all other d-pads seem inadequate.)

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
            (The best d-pad ever is, in my opinion, on the PS1 controller. You can get one for cheap off ebay and use it for proper d-pad. After using it all other d-pads seem inadequate.)
            I have a couple of PS2 controllers that I bought new for use with PS2-USB adapters before they stopped selling them in North America. I don't remember the PS1 controller's D-Pad feeling any different and I dislike PS2 D-Pads enough that I play games like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night via Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles, PPSSPP, and my USB-SNES controller adapter instead.

...but the best D-Pad I've ever used has to be the one built into my OpenPandora palmtop PC. I really wish they offered that in a USB controller I could plug into my desktop.

Comment

Working...
            X