No announcement yet.

Half-Life: Alyx Releasing In March 2020 With Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been waiting for Steam Linux VR for the Index to shape up, not gonna lie -- strongly tempted to buy for this game, though I have a few months to make up my mind.

Actually I hope there is a special HL Alyx VR kit -- I want to buy that one like how Xbox got a translucent green Xbox with Xbox 2000, 360, etc...

There's a really high probability I will buy one but it better be SteamOS compatible for my use case.

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post

I bought a used Vive (1.1 with combined cables) for €400 a while back, thought that was a pretty nice deal. Played a lot of Beat Saber
      Nice. Did not come to my mind to get something second hand.

But anyway, I am doing Infocom classics playthrough, and having a blast making VR inside my head via console screen. Back to basics I guess I could say

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post

Nice. Did not come to my mind to get something second hand.

But anyway, I am doing Infocom classics playthrough, and having a blast making VR inside my head via console screen. Back to basics I guess I could say
        The other end of the spectrum :-)

Comment

I don't get it.
          They engagement pushing Linux is really high, but then they miss the oppertunity to present the game with linux support?
          Good role model valve...

Comment

Originally posted by gardotd426 View Post
            GamingonLinux literally spoke to Valve and was told that there will be no Linux support as of right now,
            That's not what was said at all. What they did say, quite literally was: ""Right now we can only confirm windows for this product".
            Pay attention to the word "confirm". What is or what isn't happening on other platforms is officially unconfirmed, so noone knows, but "there will be no support at all" is a gross misrepresentation of their statement.

Though given the state of VR on different platforms, it makes perfect sense for this to, sadly, be Windows-only for now, since last I checked, VR on linux simply isn't ready yet. And that is probably the main culprit stopping a multiplatform release from being reality.

Comment

Originally posted by jokergermany.de.vu View Post
              I don't get it.
              They engagement pushing Linux is really high, but then they miss the oppertunity to present the game with linux support?
              Good role model valve...
              I think Valve will slowly exiunt themselves from the Linux theatre pretty soon. These are the first signals. Their whole Linux push is nonsensical from a business perspective and it hasn't payed back in ANY way for them for all these years of effort.

I'm a Linux user/programmer first so I'm glad they went on this money throwing sharade, but as a rational being the only outcome I see for them is a quiet exit. There's simply no money to be made by supporting Linux for gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

The thing about larger projects is that there's a limit to how much you can rush them by throwing more money at their development. Besides, Valve's last big title, Portal 2, was first announced in March 2010 and released in April 2011 so it went just over a year from announcement to release so they're not anything special in this regard.
                Portal 2 used the same engine and is roughly the same game, as "Portal"

This game is a new engine, with new interface, and new game concept.

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post

You didn't read the article, did you...
                  What lead you to that incorrect conclusion?

The article is like 9 lines XD

It's gonna be Unity crap; you wait and see

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

What lead you to that incorrect conclusion? It's gonna be Unity crap; you wait and see
                    "Half-Life: Alyx is powered by SteamVR on Valve's Source Engine 2"

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post

I think Valve will slowly exiunt themselves from the Linux theatre pretty soon. These are the first signals. Their whole Linux push is nonsensical from a business perspective and it hasn't payed back in ANY way for them for all these years of effort.

I'm a Linux user/programmer first so I'm glad they went on this money throwing sharade, but as a rational being the only outcome I see for them is a quiet exit. There's simply no money to be made by supporting Linux for gaming.
                      They've just started investing _more_ in projects like DXVK, Mesa ACO compiler, SteamVR for Linux is getting constant updates, Fossilize and secure compile, etc etc so that's not the impression I'm getting.

Comment

Working...
                      X