Half-Life: Alyx Releasing In March 2020 With Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    My guess is that this is going to be a quick hype to try to sell a few more Vive setups.

It probably won't be written properly either or use anything interesting like the Source engine. I imagine it will be a quick hackup job in crud like Unity. I guess that is good enough for small-time adver-games.
    You didn't read the article, did you...

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Is Valve secretly in love with Russia? The clip is full of references to the USSR/Russia.
      • 0:30 wall painting, a traffic sign
      • 0:38 ИНТЕНД armlet
      • 0:43 Volga car, a registration plate, elektrichka, probably a board with a Russian text on top of the nearest building
      • 0:52 RIGA SZ-912 СБЕГИ, REALITY DEFINED - what? 😃 There's never been such a car
      • 0:56 boxes: "ЦЕНТРАЛЬНЫЙ ЗООПАРК", "СУХОЙ ЗАВТРАК", "СЛИВОЧНОЕ МАСЛО", "ПЕЧЕНЬЕ"
      From what I remember, Half-Life 2 takes place in Romania, so this makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Finally, a reason to build a new powerful gaming rig and get a Valve Index or some other high-end VR kit. The only problem is money.

Comment

Is Valve secretly in love with Russia? The clip is full of references to the USSR/Russia.
          • 0:43 Volga car, a registration plate, elektrichka, probably a board with a Russian text on top of the nearest building
          • 0:52 RIGA SZ-912 СБЕГИ, REALITY DEFINED - what? 😃 There's never been such a car
          • 0:56 boxes: "ЦЕНТРАЛЬНЫЙ ЗООПАРК", "СУХОЙ ЗАВТРАК", "СЛИВОЧНОЕ МАСЛО", "ПЕЧЕНЬЕ"
          Yes. It's rumoured that Gabe will also endorse Tulsi Gabbard in the upcoming days.

Comment

Valve developers have admitted with absolute certainty that there would be no non-VR version of this game :-(

But probably HL3 will be released as a normal PC game.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post

Hopefully VR goes the way of 3D TV's by then.
              Really sucks it has. If you play split screen games with friends on your couch, 3D TVs can make each player have full screen display without being able to see what the other player is doing. Instead of glasses with two unique lenses to get 3D effect, you put identical lenses on both eyes and the other type on both eyes of another set of glasses. Switch the TV to 3d mode over/under and you can each only see your own view. LG marketed it as dual play, and sold pairs of glasses built this way out of the box so you wouldn't have to swap lenses. It works great and I thought game devs would embrace it and make it very popular with console players. Nice functionality to have in a TV even if you don't watch 3D films.

Comment

It's probably set in Russia/Ukraine. Or maybe it's a clue about post HL2: Ep2 events?

Comment

also, sorce 2 SDK finally?
                  A set of Source 2 tools for building new levels will be available for the game, enabling any player to build and contribute new environments for the community to enjoy. Hammer, Valve’s level authoring tool, has been updated with all of the game's virtual reality gameplay tools and components.

Comment

Phoronix, why on earth are you guys posting stuff like this with no confirmation? GamingonLinux literally spoke to Valve and was told that there will be no Linux support as of right now, yet you guys post this RIDICULOUSLY clickbait title. It would be one thing if it said like, "with hopeful linux support" and then clarified in the article whatever you "heard" about waiting for system requirements for linux or whatever. But no, you literally posted an article with a title that is a deliberate lie, stating that there will officially be linux supoort for the new Half-Life. I'm honestly really disappointed, this had been my go-to for real linux news.

Comment

Game looks great, can't afford VR.
                      Not interested in budget narrow screen door models either, I've been acclimatised to 4k resolution too much, going down in res is like stabbing my eyes, LOL

Ultimately ALL my free money budget goes into saving up for the next big GPU, which is going to be a 3080TI possibly unless AMD does something at the top end (VERY unlikely). By the time I have bought the GPU, there is nothing left for VR, lol. got a 1080ti atm.

Title should be: Half-Life: Alyx Releasing In March 2020, Possibly With Linux Support?

Last edited by theriddick; 21 November 2019, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X