Half-Life: Alyx Releasing In March 2020 With Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    Hopefully a VR-free version will be released as well 'cause I just won't play anything in VR until 1) both the VRH and gaming controllers lose their wires 2) both are able to run for at least 6 hours on a battery and 3) the VRH provides 4K@120fps for each eye 4) the VRH is relatively lightweight 5) they don't cost a kidney

This most likely won't happen in the next 10 years.
    Why don't you find yourself a kidney philanthropist?

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post
      Valve has always been a bit different. They also have billions in the bank from what I remember so paying for a game in development just isn't a problem for them.
      The thing about larger projects is that there's a limit to how much you can rush them by throwing more money at their development. Besides, Valve's last big title, Portal 2, was first announced in March 2010 and released in April 2011 so it went just over a year from announcement to release so they're not anything special in this regard.

Comment

Hopefully VR goes the way of 3D TV's by then.

Comment

My guess is that this is going to be a quick hype to try to sell a few more Vive setups.

It probably won't be written properly either or use anything interesting like the Source engine. I imagine it will be a quick hackup job in crud like Unity. I guess that is good enough for small-time adver-games.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post

Hopefully VR goes the way of 3D TV's by then.
            I'm not against 3D TVs which don't require to wear goggles but haven't seen any yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I was told (unofficially) that it shows like that on the Steam page until the Linux system requirements are added/determined.
              Their official press said something different according to GoL: https://twitter.com/gamingonlinux/st...01223563722754

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
                It doesn't support Linux.
                Ah, glad to hear that, might had otherwise triggered me to buy over priced and inconvenient VR set.

Comment

Half-Life: Alyx, the first Half-Life title in far too long has now been officially revealed with the Steam store page for it now available and you can also pre-purchase.

Update 19:40 UTC: Valve press emailed back, they said "Right now we can only confirm windows for this product".

Comment

Hopefully a VR-free version will be released as well 'cause I just won't play anything in VR until 1) both the VRH and gaming controllers lose their wires 2) both are able to run for at least 6 hours on a battery and 3) the VRH provides 4K@120fps for each eye 4) the VRH is relatively lightweight 5) they don't cost a kidney

And after all this comes true I still won't be playing in VR simply because I feel like vomiting after 5 minutes of play.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post

Ah, glad to hear that, might had otherwise triggered me to buy over priced and inconvenient VR set.
                      I bought a used Vive (1.1 with combined cables) for €400 a while back, thought that was a pretty nice deal. Played a lot of Beat Saber

Comment

Working...
                      X