Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    this is a lie
    I don't entirely disagree with some of the things you say, but Office 2003 *does* work fine on Windows 10. There's no support anymore, but for personal use, that's not really an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird View Post

As a long time Wine developer, I would like to share my view on this and no I'm not employed by Codeweavers. Codeweavers is doing a great job on Wine and I believe they have the best forward with Wine. It is correct that Crossover Office has changes, which are not in Wine. This is not so much, because they don't want them in Wine. Alexandre maintains very high code quaity standards for Wine. Any changes need to be done properly. A product like Crossover Office needs to ship at some point and hacky implementations or application specific hacks are sometimes needed. The source for the Wine build in Crossover Office is public and anyone can see the changes. Over time these improvements make it over to Wine in a "proper way", which is why Wine may lack support for certain apps. Though it can also lead Crossover Office. Generally speaking mainline Wine is also the development branch for Wine and used directly by Codeweavers.
      Also a wine contributor, and I'm going to disagree here. We've evidence to prove it. Look how quickly Wine became compatible with a gazillion games just because Valve dropped a wad of fat cash on someone's doorstep. I'm not going to comment on Wine's codebase either except to say it's a constant, huge, glaring FIXME. I respect any developer that devotes their time to open source development (I have, on many different projects), but that doesn't mean I can't hold a project to higher standards, especially if money is involved and the source code is used as a demo for the real thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

6 TB? I have a Office 365 subscription primarily for all of that OneDrive space, but I only have 1 TB. Still a great deal, though But an even better deal if Office 65 would be ported to Linux (or at least work fine under Wine - I don't want to pay even more money to get it to work under CrossOver).
        Yes, each user gets 1 TB. You get 6 users on an account on every plan except the cheapest. If you aren't using the other accounts you can share the space via shared folders on your own account. It's too bad they don't provide an easier way to do this. However, at even just 1 TB, that makes them extremely competitive with many providers. At 6 TB? No contest. Cheaper than Backblaze B2.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
          I don't entirely disagree with some of the things you say, but Office 2003 *does* work fine on Windows 10. There's no support anymore, but for personal use, that's not really an issue.
          I got reports of stuff in it (excel/word/Outlook) breaking multiple times each major Windows 10 update, some was fixed after the fact with Office 2003 updates, after someone (yours truly) fiddled with the stupid update settings to "enable updates for other microsoft products" and restarted and prayed the gods.
          On some systems I had to nuke Office 2003 and reinstall it.
          This is not uncommon for newer office versions too, but if the only reason stuff still works is because Microsoft publishes patches for it, then when it is declared EOL it can stop working at any moment.

On many systems Outlook 2003 can't connect to servers using ssl https://www.tenforums.com/browsers-e...ent-email.html
          Or can't open links unless you fix registry manually https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/li...in-windows-10/

Really I'm not going to say it works fine. You can get it to work, but it's not smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            I got reports of stuff in it (excel/word/Outlook) breaking multiple times each major Windows 10 update, some was fixed after the fact with Office 2003 updates, after someone (yours truly) fiddled with the stupid update settings to "enable updates for other microsoft products" and restarted and prayed the gods.
            On some systems I had to nuke Office 2003 and reinstall it.
            This is not uncommon for newer office versions too, but if the only reason stuff still works is because Microsoft publishes patches for it, then when it is declared EOL it can stop working at any moment.

On many systems Outlook 2003 can't connect to servers using ssl https://www.tenforums.com/browsers-e...ent-email.html
            Or can't open links unless you fix registry manually https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/li...in-windows-10/

Really I'm not going to say it works fine. You can get it to work, but it's not smooth.
            Outlook is a terrible app, no matter the Office version. I was talking about stuff like Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X