Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experimental Work Allows DXVK To Be Natively Used For Direct3D 11 On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    i'm guessing wine will still be needed for games to work on linux. it will really be a big difference between current approach of dxvk and the new way?

    Comment


    • #12
      isnt this an equivalent to moltenVK? Not the sames apis but the idea behind is the same

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by salsadoom View Post
        So.. DX11 is a native graphics api on Linux now (potentially?) lol this is a strange world we live in. But this is neat, I suppose.
        actually DX9 is already native on Linux, with IDirect3DDevice9 implemented inside Mesa Gallium3D, see https://fosdem.org/2015/schedule/eve...NineStatus.pdf (page 11)
        it works like a charm and I hope DX11 will work the same!

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by Sethox View Post
          I couldn't care less if Microsoft wants to fight a losing battle
          umm, how is it a LOSING battle, when DX12 use outpaces Vulkan by at least 10 to 1?

          It's not "entertaining" at all: it's a @#$%ing pain in the ass, and a huge factor in keeping native games off Linux because nobody wants to write for multiple APIs and the overwhelming majority of devs have stuck with the DX "line" rather than transition to VK, even though the two are virtually identical at this point.

          As others have already pointed out, DX is a *massive* part of the "appeal" of Windows. And DX12 is "winning" just the same as 5-11 did against OGL.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by loganj View Post
            i'm guessing wine will still be needed for games to work on linux. it will really be a big difference between current approach of dxvk and the new way?
            Think of this like wine-lib vs wine.

            It's not really meant for end-users, what it will do is allow porters to use this rather than rolling their own translation layer when shipping native games for linux.

            Comment


            • #16
              It's just great to see how our ecosystem has evolved in recent years. I am literally happy to be a small part of it. To all involved: Many thanks for everything!

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

                Well this would be suicidal. DirectX is for a lot of users the only thing which keeps them on windows. I have heard a lot of people saying: yeah I would give a shot but gaming on linux is still worse, they dont have native directx.
                Even WineD3D can do vastly better in good cases than native Windows, and at least double perf on the same machine if you're lucky. Osu! back in the day was like that, but if it detected wine, it would block the irrelevant DirectX renderer unless Wine version was hidden from it. Too bad it required actual Microsoft .net to run.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                  Even WineD3D can do vastly better in good cases than native Windows, and at least double perf on the same machine if you're lucky. Osu! back in the day was like that, but if it detected wine, it would block the irrelevant DirectX renderer unless Wine version was hidden from it. Too bad it required actual Microsoft .net to run.

                  i totally agree. but you know the most of them just want to doubleclick on the latest AAA game icon and expext this to work flawless out of the box. since dxvk and proton it can be the case for surprisingly alot of games...but not enough to convince them. especially when it comes to drm mechanisms seen on a lot of uplay games.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by arQon View Post

                    umm, how is it a LOSING battle, when DX12 use outpaces Vulkan by at least 10 to 1?

                    It's not "entertaining" at all: it's a @#$%ing pain in the ass, and a huge factor in keeping native games off Linux because nobody wants to write for multiple APIs and the overwhelming majority of devs have stuck with the DX "line" rather than transition to VK, even though the two are virtually identical at this point.

                    As others have already pointed out, DX is a *massive* part of the "appeal" of Windows. And DX12 is "winning" just the same as 5-11 did against OGL.

                    dont forget the ms taskforce helping devs to get their project done. i think the khronos groupe simply does not have this kind of payed helping taskforce. mostlikely with vulkan you will be more or less on your own...this is what i would assume but i have no proof. just an educated guess...

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by arQon View Post
                      As others have already pointed out, DX is a *massive* part of the "appeal" of Windows. And DX12 is "winning" just the same as 5-11 did against OGL.
                      According do pcgamingwiki.com DX12 and Vulkan have similar game count. Even if we count only Windows games (there are some games with Vulkan support only on Linux) it's definitely not the same difference like DX <= 11 vs OpenGL. It's hard to tell "DX12 is winning".

                      There is also another difference - comparing to older DX, DX12 is already pretty good supported in Wine. How long we had to wait for working and fast DX11 implementation? Basically DXVK brought us fast and working DX11 on Linux and first version of DXVK was released in 2018 and DX11 was released in 2009 with Windows 7. Even if we count Wine DX11 implementation it still years ahead first DX11 release. Even if DX12 will win, it should be already working pretty good on Wine.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X