Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CodeWeavers Is Hiring Another Graphics Developer To Help With Wine D3D / Steam Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by archsway View Post
    Then maybe CodeWeavers or Valve could buy it and release the source?
    dgVoodoo 2 is really the wrong way.

Wined3d is Dx1-11 to opengl.
    d9vk is Dx 9 could be expanded to cover dx 8 and 9 to Vulkan
    dxvk is dx 10-11 to vulkan.

Of course a project is missing a dx1-7 to vulkan.

Why is dgVoodoo 2 the wrong way being to DX11 means you have to either go though wined3d to opengl or dxvk to vulkan. This means you have extra translation layer so extra source of bugs.

Thing to remember on a raspberry pi 4 the GPU technically is Vulkan compatible but it does not have a vulkan driver. There are many android devices that only have opengl drivers for their GPU.

https://www.collabora.com/news-and-b...tation-vulkan/

Also opengl is not going way either we are going to see over time like above zink appear. They are many cad programs and other things that will want opengl for legacy parts. Under OS X this in time is going to be MoltenVK for Vulkan to metal with likes of zink on top for opengl to vulkan. The horrible part is with all these layers will still work out faster than what the OS X opengl implementation was of course not as fast as MoltenGL for opengl on OS X. So opengl support on OS X has come a pay for feature and the pay for version in fact performs where the OS X provided opengl was basically not optimised and performed horribly.

The need for opengl backend for wine direct x will not go away for at least a decade because that is how long until it will take for all new hardware to always be released with vulkan support. None of this opengl only hardware releases like the raspberry pi 4.

So we have 10 years to transition. Even when we see Vulkan only GPUs there will be a software wrapper on top to run opengl programs.

But the big thing we really don't need stuff long term like dgvoodoo 2 that is to dx11 because dx11 is not native to Linux or any of the platforms wine runs on.

Codeweavers or Valve would be better off investing in making a d7vk and expanding d9vk to cover dx8 and buying nglide for its voodoo/glide to vulkan than putting any money in dgVoodoo direction.

Leave a comment:

• archsway
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Also if we want to stay light and flexible; one day Wine might integrate some sort of x86 userland emulation to run on ARM devices like Raspberry Pi. If we have needlessly shunned all devices that do not support Vulkan, we will never be able to get our act together to hook it all up and do cool things. We will always be chasing hardware rather than making do with what we have got.
    https://github.com/AndreRH/hangover

I'm not sure about how well hangover performs, as I don't have a 64-bit ARM CPU, but there is another project for running Linux x86 on ARM which can run gzip at 25% percent of native speed, and has wrappers for some native libraries so glmark2 can run 98% of native speed:

https://github.com/ptitSeb/box86/tree/dynarec

Leave a comment:

• archsway
    replied
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    dgVoodoo 2 site is on the malware list. There was a malware issue turn up with it. Being closed means for business usage you cannot have it audited. So dgvoodoo 2 is useless garbage to particular parties.
    Then maybe CodeWeavers or Valve could buy it and release the source?

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

DXvk D9vk does not cover the dx1-7 games. So wined3d still has it usages for those playing legacy games.
    I also think it is not necessary to map <dx9 to vulkan. Most likely the lowest performing, just barely supporting vulkan gfx adapters will drive this games with decent fps under opengl,. Or do you need 500+ fps in turok, mbk and ms flightsimulator 95?

if opengl might disappear. ..sure different case.
    Last edited by CochainComplex; 11-14-2019, 02:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TheOne
    replied
    Originally posted by bregma View Post
    Why, there are several dozen posters right here on Phoronix Forums that claim to know more about these subjects than the people who developed them. I'm sure thay'd all make excellent candidates for this position.

CodeWeavers is only looking for one of these guys.
    LOL that is actually true, in the end a person who claims knowing all ends with a false resume and learning everything he said he knew at the work place

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

I have never been called that before XD.
    Well, you did take the Boomer position of Make Nouveau Great Again

I thought running old stuff was more "Hipster". I don't know which one I prefer
    With that definition -- we're both Hipsters. My GPU is the only thing in my computer under 5 years old

Leave a comment:

• akuhtr
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

OK, Boomer.

What majority? According to the latest Steam survey, there are 8.3 times more Linux users than people using non-Vulkan GPUs (.1% for non-Vulkan GPUs vs .83% Linux users).

None of us feel bad or are upset that a small portion of people either haven't upgraded their GPU in 10 years or rely on their integrated Intel GPU.

Even my broke ass has bought two GPUs in the past decade. You must be one of the .1% non-Vulkan GPU minority.

Goddamn .1% percenters always trying to ruin everything for the majority of us.
    Steam survey is irrelevant in this case. There are windows commercial apps running under wine/WineD3D and their users pay for that to CodeWeavers. Desktop linux isn't only about games...

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

Nouveau doesn't have a Vulkan driver but it's really not an option anyways for gaming (aside from Kepler) due to lack of re-clocking....
    Don't think entirely of the latest and greatest. Wine can very happily play older titles (Digital preservation is one of Wines biggest benefits. It can run more Windows software than Windows 10 and this gap will only increase in the future).
    I could run many games using Wine on an old Intel GMA 9xx so long as they don't require Vulkan.

I think even without reclocking Nouveau can run Quake 4, UT2004 pretty well. To be honest at this point even the software renderer LLVM-pipe can do it; Nouveau pretty much just provides me with native screen resolutions and that is enough for now haha.

Also if we want to stay light and flexible; one day Wine might integrate some sort of x86 userland emulation to run on ARM devices like Raspberry Pi. If we have needlessly shunned all devices that do not support Vulkan, we will never be able to get our act together to hook it all up and do cool things. We will always be chasing hardware rather than making do with what we have got.

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

OK, Boomer.
    I have never been called that before XD.
    I thought running old stuff was more "Hipster". I don't know which one I prefer
    Last edited by kpedersen; 11-14-2019, 07:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bregma
    replied
    Originally posted by TheOne View Post
    They are hiring a graphics Super Hero companies ask so much these days out of single individuals...
    There are plenty of folks out there with these qualifications and more. I worked on a team with a dozen of them, some of whom came from another project I worked on with a dozen more. None of these people were full-stack or front-end webapp developers, mind you.

Why, there are several dozen posters right here on Phoronix Forums that claim to know more about these subjects than the people who developed them. I'm sure thay'd all make excellent candidates for this position.

CodeWeavers is only looking for one of these guys.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by timofonic View Post
    OpenGL is slowly becoming completely irrelevant, it makes no sense to maintain legacy code in Wine in the future.
    Opengl to Vulkan work is under way. Opengl In wine still does your dx1-7 stuff that you dxvk and d9vk don't deal with yet.

Remember wine usage is not only gamers it sometimes running legacy business applications horrible from windows 3.11 time today. Also at horrible old business hardware.

DX to Opengl support will be need for the business usage for another 10 years. So not near future that the wined3d code can be complete dropped. Vk3d recently added some features to allow dxgi to work between the vulkan and opengl parts of wine.

Things are not always simple.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X